Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery PC showing up in Shared tab on Sidebar

I know people have talked about this before, but I can't seem to find those threads -- anyway, suddenly I see a PC on my network called: brn_32ac56 - that's not a MAC address, so I don't know how to track it down. Any idea what I can do? Has someone hacked into my network? I went to my LinkSys router Active IP table and nothing odd seems to be there... How do I track this PC down?

Thanks in advance, Don

Message was edited by: Don O. Knowlton

G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, MacBook, G4 iMac and a 512K Macintosh in the closet..., Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 4, 2009 9:41 AM

14 replies

Jan 4, 2009 10:21 AM in response to Craig Baron

Craig,

Well, I was assuming that the "brw" sequence in the name of the server might mean "Brother Wireless." Just to be clear; you actually restarted the Finder by pressing Command-Option-Esc and choosing "Restart Finder," not by simply closing all Finder windows (which doesn't actually restart the Finder), correct?

Are you running Windows in a virtual machine? This is another common cause for the appearance of a "mystery" PC server.

Scott

Jan 4, 2009 12:15 PM in response to Scott Radloff

Hello - how about this - I am getting the mystery "brn_32ac56" and I have a very old Brother networked Laser Printer. brn = brother networked? But I have NEVER seen this before and I have had the printer for years and have not changed the network configuration. I turn off the printer (restart Finder, etc) and it's still there.

Is it possible to ping brn_32ac56? or whosit or something?

Jan 4, 2009 2:18 PM in response to Don O. Knowlton

Don't Linksys routers have a config webpage that lists all devices attached to the (W)LAN? And can't you look up "details" on a specific device, to see things like 192.168.1.x IP address, MAC address, etc.? If so, look at the details of your printer. I would be surprised if the last portion of its MAC address was not :32:ac:56. (and for Craig, :13:b1:50)

Mystery PC showing up in Shared tab on Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.