Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image rotated the wrong way after uploading online.

Hello,
Today I uploaded a picture online, but it was rotated the wrong way. I then proceeded to check the picture I uploaded to see if it was indeed the wrong way, i quicklooked it, it was the right way. Opened it with preview, it was still the right way, went as far as opening it with photoshop, still the right way.
I am 100% sure this the file I uploaded as it had not been modified in a while.

Were is the problem coming from? It is important to me that it uploads correctly rotated as or else the site rejects the photo and I will not be able to display/sell it.
This has also happened before while uploading to facebook.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 4, 2009 8:52 PM

3 replies

Jan 4, 2009 10:01 PM in response to rakess

First, which format are you using. JPG? It needs to be either JPG or TIFF in order to upload to the web.

Instead of using Preview, use iPhoto. Drag the image into iPhoto. Double click the image, at the bottom of that window click: Edit Then click: Rotate Then click Done on the right side of the window. Then from the Menu Bar, select File/Export, choose your Export options, click Export. You will see a dialog box. Name the image, and where you wish to save it. For easy access, you can save to your Desktop.

Now try uploading to Facebook.

Carolyn 🙂

Message was edited by: Carolyn Samit

Jan 5, 2009 10:33 AM in response to rakess

The rotated picture business is bit confusing, so bear with me a minute.

When you shoot in portrait view your camera records everything the same as it does in landscape view, but adds a little digital note saying, in effect, "this picture is supposed to display in portrait." Some things can read the note, and some things can't. Finder, QuickLook, iPhoto, Photoshop and Preview (and many other graphics programs) can read the note and display the picture appropriately, Safari can't. If you want to see how those on other machines might see the picture, just drag it into an open Safari window. You will see the actual state of the pixels, since Safari doesn't understand the digital note instructing programs to rotate the picture.

Now--what to do. Because of the complaints of graphic pros the Mac OS no longer automatically applies the rotation to the actual pixels....you have to do it yourself. I usually do so in Photoshop (in CS1 it is easy to batch apply the rotation, don't know about Bridge), but if you use iPhoto you can EXPORT the photo, and then the rotation will be saved and the pixels altered.

If you want to use Preview try this:

1. Open the photo and resave immediately, in the "Save as..." dialog box you'll see a line with a check box under the format information, that says "Use Exif Orientation Tag"--uncheck the box and save.
2. Reopen the photo--this time it will display the actual state of the pixels, so it will be sideways
3. Rotate so it is in portrait view
4. Save again

If you drop the photo in Safari it should now appear "correctly" and will display anywhere and everywhere in the correct orientation.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Image rotated the wrong way after uploading online.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.