Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Homes: Symlinks made on Leopard client not working on Tiger clients

We have a mixture of Tiger and Leopard clients all using network homes. The homes used to be on a 10.4 server but were recently moved to an OpenFiler server - but this problem is occurring with both setups.

Anyways, there's a script that runs at login to redirect ~/Library/Caches (and a few other folders) to the local hard drive's temp folder. This is working in 10.5, but once a symlink is made, it's untouchable. The Leopard clients aren't deleting it when they log out. When a user logs in on a Tiger client, it looks like the Caches folder isn't there, but you can't make the folder or create the symlink manually - it gives an error that Caches already exists. If you try and rm it from terminal, it says the file could not be found.

When you look at these symlinks using terminal to SSH into the server with the homes, there's definitely something different. The symlinks made in Tiger look to seen as just small files while the ones made in Leopard are known to by syminks.

Last but not least, they can only be deleted by root in the command line. Even connecting to the server (via SMB) as an admin doesn't give you permission to delete the files. It doesn't give an error, but the moment you delete the link it pops back in. I have to ssh into the server and sudo rm them to really delete them.

Anyone seen anything like this, or know of a way to make the symlinks in the same format as Tiger (if that makes sense)?

Thanks,
Jason

mbpro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 10:11 AM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2009 12:38 PM in response to James Dicken

James, Thanks for the reply...

I was at first, but then changed it to a login script with the same results.

Although on further investigation I think it's more of a problem with the server the home folders are on (OpenFiler) -- Sorry, I thought I had ruled out the OpenFiler by checking on a share served from the Xserver, but I made a mistake...

There is some difference in symlink formats between Tiger and Leopard as the OpenFiler sees a Tiger symlink as a normal file while a symlink made in Leopard appears as a true link to the OpenFiler.

Why that causes all these problems is still a mystery.

Network Homes: Symlinks made on Leopard client not working on Tiger clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.