Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replacing hard drive in an iMac G5 and then what?

The Seagate drive in my G5 went dead today so I went to a computer store and bought the identical 80gb drive 7200.10. I'm able to boot up the Leopard install disc but it shows no destination volume icon. I haven't the faintest idea what to do next but I don't need to partition the drive unless that's how you get the image. Can anyone direct me to a site that will help me?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 6:44 PM

3 replies

Nov 1, 2018 11:52 AM in response to dawsonmackay

I'm trying to replace the hard drive on my G5 iMac. I downloaded the manual. I removed the three screws but I can't get the cover off. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong. I have the 20 inch one.

Jan 5, 2009 11:49 PM in response to dawsonmackay

You will need to use "DisK Utility" from the "utilities" menu in the menubar after selecting the correct "Language", but before trying to install the OS, while booted from the Leopard DVD.

You should see the HD in the lefthand pane , if it was installed correctly. Highlight it and select the "Partition" tab. Select "1 partition" from the dropdown menu in the "partition" tab (even if that is what it already currently uses). Click on the "options" button in the "partition" window. Select "Apple Partition Scheme" from the choices offered.

"Mac OS extended (journaled)" should be showing in the "format" dropdown, but if not, select it.

Click on "Apply"

Once the process is complete try running the OS installer again.

If the drive doesn't show up in "Disk Utility" then either there has been a problem in the physical installation, or the drive is defective.

Cheers

Rod

replacing hard drive in an iMac G5 and then what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.