Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini DVI - HDMI Issues

I'm trying to connect my Mac mini o my television with no luck.
I'm able to connect my old Power Mac G4 (quicksilver with ATI Radeon 9800Pro)
and my MacBook Pro, but no luck with my Mac Mini. Any suggestions ?

I can remote into the mac mini and it shows it is connected to "Philips FTV" and tries to set it's resolution to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz, and in System profiler it does say "Television: Yes"

I've tried a few settings in SwitcResX but I'm not sure I completely know what I'm doing.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Specs:

Mac Mini
Macmini2,1
Mac OS X Server 10.5.5
2Ghz, Intel Core 2Duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Television:
Philips 42"
42PFL7422D/37

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2009 6:59 PM

It could be the pixel clock needs to be lowered. Since you already have SRX installed, try the following:

Connect the mini to the Philips.
Remote into the mini and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz if it isn't already.
Remotely open SRX on the mini.
Click on the Custom button on the button bar.
Click on the "+" sign to create a new timing.
Put a check mark in the "Use simplified settings:" box.
In the associated pop-up select "CVT-RB"
If the Scan rate isn't already at 60, type 60 in the box.
Click OK and then quit SRX and follow the directions for saving and restarting.

The result should be a new timing created with reduced blanking (the "-RB" in CVT-RB) and hence a lower pixel clock. While still remoted into the mini, select this new timing from within Displays preferences and see if the Philips lights up. Good luck.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2009 6:59 PM in response to arkling

It could be the pixel clock needs to be lowered. Since you already have SRX installed, try the following:

Connect the mini to the Philips.
Remote into the mini and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz if it isn't already.
Remotely open SRX on the mini.
Click on the Custom button on the button bar.
Click on the "+" sign to create a new timing.
Put a check mark in the "Use simplified settings:" box.
In the associated pop-up select "CVT-RB"
If the Scan rate isn't already at 60, type 60 in the box.
Click OK and then quit SRX and follow the directions for saving and restarting.

The result should be a new timing created with reduced blanking (the "-RB" in CVT-RB) and hence a lower pixel clock. While still remoted into the mini, select this new timing from within Displays preferences and see if the Philips lights up. Good luck.

Jan 14, 2009 11:03 AM in response to arkling

With the Mac Mini the TV has always just been dark, (no boot Apple even) (with a message saying something like "no video signal" on the TV ) I'll give the lower resolutions a try when I get home though.

When I use the same DVI to HDMI cable with my PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver with Radeon 9800Pro) or my MacBook Pro (2007) I get great picture and works without a hitch so I think the cable is good.

Also, I did have Mac OS X Server 10.5.5 installed, last night I reformatted and put Leopard client edition to see if that would help any. (just trying different things at this point)

Thanks again !

Mac Mini DVI - HDMI Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.