Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roadrunner and the iPhone

Okay, so I've accepted that I can't send mail from my NYC roadrunner account, I fault Time Warner for that. But now I've somehow lost the ability to have e-mail from that account push (fetch) to my iPhone. After a few minutes of activating mail, i get "The connection to the server 'pop-server.nyc.rr.com' failed" when it comes to that mailbox. I haven't changed any settings, and I've even double checked them with TW's RR homepage. Anyone else experiencing the same problems or know a fix?

Thanks

Aluminum iMac Early 08, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2009 5:52 AM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2009 10:08 AM in response to jwphotonyc

You can send email from the iPhone. [Follow these steps|http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/mailhelper>

The above steps will configure your email to work with RoadRunner through an AT&T Wireless SMTP server that works only through the cellular network (so no WiFi).

The problem is that Road Runner will not allow anyone to use their SMTP servers unless they are physically connected to the Road Runner Network through one of their modems (or signed into their website).

If you need WiFi access to send RR email, their are a couple of options (1 free and 1 costs about $30 per year)
1) Sign up for AUTHSMTP.com. They will provide an authenticated server that will work for RR.

2) Sign up with Google for GMAIL. They will let you use their SMTP server for other accounts as well (like RR). This is free.

In both cases, your recipients will see your return address as Road Runner.

Jan 6, 2009 10:37 AM in response to jwphotonyc

Push and Fetch access are different.

RR does not support Push access, which is not supported with a POP account with a cell phone's mail client that communicates direct with the incoming mail server for the account as the iPhone's mail client does.

The only accounts that support Push access is a Yahoo account when created with the iPhone's mail client using the Yahoo account preset, a MobileMe account, and an Exchange account accessed via ActiveSync with the iPhone's mail client. All other email accounts are accessed via Fetch, automatically or manually.

Most ISPs block the use of an SMTP server that is outside of their network or not provided by the ISP unless the SMTP server is authenticated. AT&T is no different in this regard - you are using AT&T'a cellular network as your ISP when connected to their cellular network, and a RR account does not have an authenticated SMTP server. If Time Warner provided an authenticated SMTP server, you would be able to send with the account regardless the ISP used for your Internet connection, unless an ISP blocks the use of all SMTP servers that are outside of their network regardless if an SMTP server is authenticated, which is not common.

As already provided, you can use AT&T's SMTP server to send messages with the account when connected to the Internet via AT&T's cellular network.

Or quit using your RR account which has this limitation because Time Warner chooses to not provide an authenticated SMTP server. Gmail includes an authenticated SMTP server, can be accessed as a POP or IMAP account with any email client, and is free.

My primary account is my MobileMe account and I access a business POP account with the iPhone's mail client. Both accounts have an authenticated SMTP server and I've never had a problem sending with either account regardless my Internet connection or ISP being used.

Jan 6, 2009 2:33 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I have email working with Roadrunner in Albany, NY area with iPhone over wifi and over Edge/3G.
I had to try several times, gave up, and suddenly it started working. Conversations with other
Roadrunner customers have led to the same conclusion: no one was able to get it working
while trying to set it up, but leave the settings in place and forget about the account
for a few hours or a day. Email starts working of its own. I do have email set to only
update when I click on the email icon. I do not know if this affects the working or not.

Jan 10, 2009 5:40 AM in response to Raleigh D.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, unfortunately I have yet to find a fix.

I've tried deleting and recreating the account, resetting the network settings, and also replacing the mail info (with the info on the computer) through iTunes. I'm still unable to retrieve mail from the roadrunner account and get a continuous "I'm workin' on it" spinning wheel when i tap on the account. Strangely the last update is listed as December 30th. The account is not even synching when i plug into the computer, nor does wifi, edge or 3G connection make a difference.

My only solution thus far is to deactivate the account.

Anyone?

Roadrunner and the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.