Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Compressor/Codec for DV output?

So, what Codec/Compressor is everyone using to output to DV?

H.261 or DV/DVCPro? Something else?

Which one is best? Also, after choosing the best, where are all the places in FCP that you need to set the same Codec?

MacBook Pro, iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.6), Final Cut Studio 2

Posted on Jan 6, 2009 5:18 PM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2009 6:07 PM in response to Bill Lindsay

1 Capture using the relevant (ie what your camera recorded to tape) codec. If you are in the US and recorded DV, the appropriate codec will be DV/NTSC Quicktime. There is an easy preset for it in FCP.

2. Edit your material on a timeline using the same codec. If you have FCP6 all you need to do is drop the first clip on the timeline and click yes if it asks if you want the sequence settings to match the clip. this will guarantee congruence between clip and sequence settings.

3. Export your material using Quicktime movie/current settings.

4. Open Compressor, import your exported file. Use the appropriate DVD compressor based upon the length of your video. Be sure to use AC3 for the audio.

5. Open DVDSP, import your assets, build and burn your DVD.

x

Jan 6, 2009 6:08 PM in response to Bill Lindsay

Cool, and thank you!

One more piece to this puzzle... (which was initially why I was posting earlier)

If I add the Motion text, again, I am back to seeing it look bad, on the screen (Mac), and on the TV. What is the solution there? Change the Export codec to ProRes422?

(I did look and saw that in the Sequence Timeline Settings, ProRes422 is not an option for the Compressor.)

Jan 6, 2009 6:08 PM in response to Bill Lindsay

Capture settings: DV-PAL or DV-NTSC depending on where you live. 32khz or 48khz audio depending on what your camera is set to. Anamorphic or not, depending if you're shooting widescreen or not.
DVD Export settings depend on how simple a workflow you want. Either just a qt movie, current settings, straight into dvdsp which can do the encoding for you; or via compressor where you use one of the dvd presets to encode the m2v video and ac3 audio.

Which Compressor/Codec for DV output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.