Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SOWT Codec

Hello Apple forums.

I have searched long and hard for an answer, but have yet to find one. Here is my situation:
Recently, using the computers at my local high school and using a MiniDV HD camcorder, I created an HD movie through Final Cut Pro. I was unable to burn this movie to a blu-ray disc and because of this, I wanted to keep the original files on my PC in case I was able to burn it in high-definition at a later date. However, this file was unplayable on my PC. I returned to the school and imported the file that was on my PC back onto the Mac. Upon doing so, I noticed the file extension was non-existant. To the end of the file I placed ".mov" and, lo and behold, the movie was playable on the Mac (both the audio and video worked.)

Upon this epiphany, I returned home and placed ".mov" at the end of my files which, in effect, "switched" the files from some unknown format into a .mov file which is playable by Quicktime. However, my problem lies here: I am unable to see the video. I am able to hear the audio in the clip, but unable to see the video. I attempted playing these files with a ".mpg" extension in Windows Media Player and found that the codec I am missing is the "Apple QuickTime SWOT Little Endian PCM Audio (sowt) Codec".

My thoughts are that I may be missing this codec for Quicktime as well, but besides this conclusion I am completely helpless at this point. I have searched for the codec to download and I am unable to find it. I have searched these forums and have also been unable to locate a solution.

Will I ever be able to play my movie files on my PC in Quicktime? Is this codec not the one I am looking for?

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Darrian

Athlon X2 4400, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 6, 2009 7:30 PM

2 replies

SOWT Codec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.