Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

cisco vpn interfering with screen sharing

1045 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2009 4:13 PM by BobHarris RSS
dvb Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 7, 2009 11:55 AM
"connection failed...please make sure that Screen Sharing... is enabled...."

i get this error message when i try to screen share from my macbook pro to my g5 desktop whenever i have my vpn client connected to my office network. i'm using cisco vpn client version 4.9.01(0100). screen sharing connects fine as soon as i disconnect the client connection. my macbook connects via the wireless network connected to the g5, a linksys WRT54GL.

i was able to screen share without difficulty until several weeks ago and am just recently realizing the screen sharing issue is reliably related to the vpn being connected.

knowing very little about networking, are there some port changes or something i need to make to allow both connections at the same time (realize i say "port changes" without really knowing what the heck i'm talking about or where those changes would be made).

thanks for any help,
-db
powermac g5, macbook pro intel core2duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Apinsley Calculating status...
    Jan 7, 2009 1:09 PM (in response to dvb)
    The very nature of VPN is to provide a secure connection between your computer and an office network. In order to enforce security, your vpn client will disable all other network connections.

So, basically, you're stuck. I run into this problem all the time (retrospect backups fail while users are connected to our remote site over vpn), so I feel your pain.
    XServe G5, many, many machines
  • BobHarris Level 6 Level 6 (12,505 points)
    Jan 7, 2009 4:13 PM (in response to dvb)
    One thing to try:

Cisco VPNClient -> select your connection entry
    Click Modify
    Click Transports
    Check [X] Allow Local LAN Access

This may or may not work to allow local LAN access.

The decision to allow or not allow access to anything except the VPN connection is specified by the VPN server. So your company's VPN admins are controlling your access outside of your Mac.
    MacBook/2GHz, PowerMac G5/2.5GHz, Mac mini/1.83Ghz, iPod Touch/32GB, Mac OS X (10.5.5), I also manage: 12" iBook G4/1GHz, MacBook Pro/2.2GHz, iMac G4/1.25GHz

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.