Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD, DVD -R and DVD +R

I have iMovie 5.0.2, iDVD 4.0.1 and the following Superdrive:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Firmware Revision: A707
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

I made a movie in iMovie and transferred it to iDVD. I inserted a blank DVD +R disk, but the drive spat it out and iDVD said 'Insert a DVD -R disk'.

As can be seen from the above extract from my 'About this Mac', my drive will burn DVD +R disks; and, indeed, I subsequently successfully burnt my movie onto a DVD +R disk by using Toast Titanium.

I should like to ask four questions:

1) Am I right in deducing that it is my iDVD 4.0.1 that is balking at the DVD +R disk and not my burner?

2) As I have bought a pile of blank DVD +R disks, it would be good to be able to use them, and I like using iDVD. So is there a later version of iDVD that will burn DVD +R disks?

3) If the answer to 2) is 'Yes', from where can I obtain such a later version without buying the whole of iLife '08? (I say '08, because my OS X is Tiger, not Leopard.)

4) What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of +R and -R disks?

Thank all you experts very much in anticipation of becoming educated.

eMac G4 (PPC), 1.25 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 8, 2009 7:57 AM

7 replies

Jan 9, 2009 11:33 PM in response to Michael Graubart

I believe you are correct (1) iDVD4 doesn't care for +R discs. iDVD5 can burn the +R discs (2), but I continue to use -R because they are the most compatible with older DVD players (4).

(3) You wish to know where to buy this version, but perhaps a workaround will make you happy -- check if you have a menu option to Save as disc image -- if not, obtain Patchburn to gain this capability to create a virtual DVD. Not only can you now precisely verify the functioning of your DVD without actually making a pile of coasters, but in your case, you can use iDVD to create menus, etc. and use Toast to "copy" the disc image to a +R disc.

How's that!
John

Jan 10, 2009 3:15 AM in response to J Keller

John, that's brilliant. Thank you very much. I've looked into saving as a disk image and iDVD 4 hasn't got that capability (iDVD 5 and 6 have), but I'll now look into Patchburn.

Of course the other answer is to stick to -R disks, so I should still be grateful to know whether +R ones have any advantages, and (if so) what they are. But thank you again for the disk image idea.

Jan 10, 2009 3:59 AM in response to Michael Graubart

I'm sorry to have to revisit this so soon. I downloaded Patchburn and went through the process of installing profiles (actually unnecessarily because my burner is the official Apple-installed one) and the iDVD4 support files. But now what?

My problem is not to make iDVD recognize my burner; it does even without Patchburn. It is to be able to save an iDVD4 project as a disk image as suggested by John. If I double-click on Patchburn to open it, it just wants me to go through the process of installing the profiles again. So where does saving as a disk image come in? There is no Help documentation or Contact information on the Patchburn website and the FAQs don't help, so please, John or anyone else, point me in the right direction.

iDVD, DVD -R and DVD +R

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.