Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security updates

I used to receive security updates automatically every month but haven't in quite some time. According to one of Apple's info pages I should still be receiving them. According to techs at the Apple Store, they aren't being sent out any more. So which is it?

G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jan 8, 2009 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2009 7:26 PM

Hi taueva,

Mac OSX 10.3.9 is no longer being supported by Apple. This means there will not be any further updates to the OS. I doubt Apple will issue any further security updates in the future for it but that is solely up to their discretion. Personally, I wouldn't look for any more for 10.3.

hope that helps,

littleshoulders 🙂
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2009 7:26 PM in response to taueva

Hi taueva,

Mac OSX 10.3.9 is no longer being supported by Apple. This means there will not be any further updates to the OS. I doubt Apple will issue any further security updates in the future for it but that is solely up to their discretion. Personally, I wouldn't look for any more for 10.3.

hope that helps,

littleshoulders 🙂

Jan 10, 2009 9:20 AM in response to littleshoulders

Too bad. I guess I don't entirely understand what security updates are all about. I didn't think they were dependent on the OS, as I didn't think that viruses, etc. were particular about which OS X you were using.

This is just one more example of poor support by Apple. I already had to abandon Safari because it isn't as robust as Camino. Now I guess I have to look around for replacement security software. (Suggestions, anyone?) Since 3.9 is as far as my G4 will go (I bought it 2 weeks before the G5 was announced), I really feel abandoned by the company.

Jan 10, 2009 8:04 PM in response to taueva

taueva,

Dr. Smoke's X-Lab FAQ "Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware" is a good place to start for determing your needs for spyware/malware protection.

There is ClamxAV for virus protection for Panther 10.3. If you decide to download/install it make sure you install the version for 10.3.

Please read all documentation for any downloaded software and fully understand its use before installing. I have not used ClamxAV myself but it is usually highly recommended if you feel you have need of virus protection.

littleshoulders 🙂

Jan 10, 2009 9:29 PM in response to taueva

taueva, you wrote,

Since 3.9 is as far as my G4 will go (I bought it 2 weeks before the G5 was announced), I really feel abandoned by the company.

Many G4's can run Leopard 10.5. Tell us what sort of Mac you have and you may be surprised at how modern your OS can be upgraded to, or just check out these links, yourself.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger system requirements

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Requirements

Both Tiger and Leopard are still supported including security updates.

Message was edited by: roam

Jan 11, 2009 10:42 AM in response to Simon Teale

It's been such a long time since I checked that I can't remember why I thought I couldn't update. Anyway, Simon and roam, here's what my System Profile says:
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
It's the mirror door model. I have 40GB available on my internal HD, plus I have a 250 GB external HD with lots more available. (and a 21" cinema display)

So I can upgrade to Leopard? That is exciting.

Jan 11, 2009 12:17 PM in response to taueva

taueva wrote:
So I can upgrade to Leopard?

Your MDD (mirrored drive doors) is better than mine.

Leopard, if you want, but I'd advise pulling the 256MB DIMM (probably the original) and add two 512MB DIMMs to give 2GB total memory. If money is tight, just get the one 512MB DIMM, total 1.75GB. Please make sure they're good quality, Tiger 10.4 and Leopard 10.5 are very, very fussy about memory quality - when Tiger was released the forums were filled with posts from those who had bought cheap memory.

Sounds like you also still have the original 80GB drive in there. A new 500GB (or whatever you like) to fit in another drive bay.

Plus Leopard, or Tiger. Total cost maybe $300 or less.

It also depends on what you want to use it for. A lot of Panther software stopped working in Leopard, so there MAY be cost there too. But with a new hard disk with Leopard/Tiger, and keeping the original 80GB with Panther / OS9 installed, you could switch between them with a reboot.

As I always say, add up the cost of the upgrades and the replacement software you may need (Google is an excellent place for finding application compatibility with Leopard), make sure you also check requirements, and compare it to the cost of a new Mac Mini, or iMac - both of which will come with the OS, disk, memory and maybe software upgrades included, ie. iLife 08, iLife 09.

security updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.