Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive enclosure

Hi,

I bought a Eaglebit- Writebox external hard drive enclosure to house my old iBook G3 40 GB hard drive. I'm fairly confident I assembled it properly, but I can't see to get my MacBook (original black model) to recognize it. It doesn't show up in Disk Utility, system profiler, or anywhere else. It is a IDE/SATA to USB enclosure. There is no power source other than the USB connection. When I switch the device on, it doesn't make any noise, so I'm not even sure if it is running?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Black MacBook 2GHz & iMac 3.06 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 9, 2009 2:29 PM

3 replies

Jan 9, 2009 2:35 PM in response to bugzy

Some additional info: The USB cable that came with the device has 2 plugs (not sure what the proper name for this is). The part that plugs into the device has the smaller plug and then the part that plugs into my computer has 2 USB plugs. I tried plugging them both in at the same time as well as each on individually.

Jan 9, 2009 3:35 PM in response to bugzy

The two USBs on the cord are to power the drive on certain computers that can't provide enough power on USB to spin the drive properly.

Can you provide a link to the enclosure you bought? (Looks like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193033)

Despite it saying that it is compatible with Mac OS X, many people say it isn't in the reviews. You may be out of luck.

What are you trying to do? Do you have another computer? Do you have Leopard on another computer to use with Time Machine? If that's the case, I'd recommend you just clone the G3 HDD to a new external enclosure/HDD that you would buy if you are trying to transfer information.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go OWC is always good with their externals for 2.5" drives. Though this one is SATA and not ATA (IDE)

hard drive enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.