Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 3rd Third Party Themes - The Manual Way to Import

It appears Apple has changed the way Keynote '09 accesses Themes.
If you leave your 3rd party themes the way they were, Keynote '09 can't seem to handle it and the theme chooser does not open or work properly.

Apple's standard themes are now imbedded in the package contents of Keynote. (if you don't know what that means, don't worry. For those that care opt click show package contents ... Keynote>contents>resources>themes).
You will have to find the third party themes you want to use.
They may be located in the library > application support folder > iWork > Themes or somewhere like that depending upon how you set it up before.

Once you find the themes, I suggest moving them to a place like the desktop or your documents folder.

Once that has been done, Quit Keynote.
Find the theme you want to "import" Double click on it. Keynote '09 should open.
Once it is open, go to File>Save Theme.... you will be presented with the option to name the theme and store it in a folder here HD>Users>Home>Library>Application Support>iWork>Keynote>Themes.

Once you have saved it, quit keynote. Open Keynote and go to the theme chooser. Your new "imported" theme will be at the bottom after all of the Apple standard themes.

Repeat for each theme you want to import.
Hope this helps.

MBPro 15" Unibody 2.8 320 GB/4GB, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 11, 2009 3:01 PM

3 replies

Jan 11, 2009 3:46 PM in response to MacBook Pro Attorney

I have just discovered that my fix above may be overkill....It may be that you can simply drag your old 3rd party themes into the Themes folder located in your home folder >Library>Application Support>iWork>Keynote>Themes.

If however, you are having a problem with an old keynote theme, then the import method above may work to help convert the old theme. Also, if you have themes that are contained within folders, you may have to remove them from the folders and place them in the location above.

Using 3rd Third Party Themes - The Manual Way to Import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.