Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting .mpg files to use in iMovie 08

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was on a PC platform, I converted several VHS tapes to files that came out with .mpg and _ses file extensions. I used an Adaptec AVC-2200 and it, in turn, used VideOh!, both obsolete and unsupported. Now I want to make a DVD for my daughter, and iMovie and QuickTime Player don't seem to recognize these files.

What does anybody suggest?? These were done in 2004 and were old then. I really, really don't want to lose them, and I really, really, don;t want to go buy a VHS player and try to import them again if I can avoid it.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Jim G.

iMac 24 2.0, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 11, 2009 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 5:42 AM

MPEG Streamclip (free) can convert your MPEG-1 files to DV Stream (.dv) for use in any version of iMovie.
7 replies

Jan 12, 2009 5:58 AM in response to cube60

If you want to edit these clips, your best bet is to download MPEG Streamclip (free) and the Apple Quicktime MPEG2 Playback Component ($20). Open MPEG Streamclip and drag the .mpg files to the big open pane in MPEG Streamclip. Now you can export the clip into a format that can be edited by iMovie for editing. For example, convert to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) in the same dimensions as the original.

If you want to go straight to DVD, you need a DVD authoring tool like Toast 10 (iDVD will not accept MPEG as a source). With Toast 10, you can open a DVD project and drag the .mpg file into it directly.
You still might need MPEG Streamclip if the .mpg file is too long to fit on a DVD, in which case you would use MPEG Streamclip to divide the .mpg file into two parts.

converting .mpg files to use in iMovie 08

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.