Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

converting .mpg files to use in iMovie 08

2854 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2009 4:07 PM by MovieLove RSS
cube60 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 11, 2009 10:30 PM
Back in the Dark Ages, when I was on a PC platform, I converted several VHS tapes to files that came out with .mpg and _ses file extensions. I used an Adaptec AVC-2200 and it, in turn, used VideOh!, both obsolete and unsupported. Now I want to make a DVD for my daughter, and iMovie and QuickTime Player don't seem to recognize these files.

What does anybody suggest?? These were done in 2004 and were old then. I really, really don't want to lose them, and I really, really, don;t want to go buy a VHS player and try to import them again if I can avoid it.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Jim G.
iMac 24 2.0, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • QuickTimeKirk Level 8 Level 8 (47,390 points)
    Jan 12, 2009 5:42 AM (in response to cube60)
    MPEG Streamclip (free) can convert your MPEG-1 files to DV Stream (.dv) for use in any version of iMovie.
    iMac 3.06, (Mac mini and G3 given to the grandkids), Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,335 points)
    Jan 12, 2009 5:58 AM (in response to cube60)
    If you want to edit these clips, your best bet is to download MPEG Streamclip (free) and the Apple Quicktime MPEG2 Playback Component ($20). Open MPEG Streamclip and drag the .mpg files to the big open pane in MPEG Streamclip. Now you can export the clip into a format that can be edited by iMovie for editing. For example, convert to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) in the same dimensions as the original.

If you want to go straight to DVD, you need a DVD authoring tool like Toast 10 (iDVD will not accept MPEG as a source). With Toast 10, you can open a DVD project and drag the .mpg file into it directly.
    You still might need MPEG Streamclip if the .mpg file is too long to fit on a DVD, in which case you would use MPEG Streamclip to divide the .mpg file into two parts.
    iMac 24 2.8Ghz, iPhone, TV, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Parallels 4.0.3540 with XP, Panasonic HDC-SD5
  • Ricktoronto Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)
    Jan 12, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to AppleMan1958)
    If they are MPEG-1 there is no need to pay for the Apple MPEG-2 codec to use with Streamclip. MPEG-1 and 2 are apples and bananas.
    MacPro 2.8 Octo 6GB RAM 6TB HDD; iMac 24"; MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.3), iPod 80GB/Touch , EYE TV 250, Parallels Win XP SP2 Boot Camp
  • AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,335 points)
    Jan 12, 2009 3:33 PM (in response to Ricktoronto)
    OP did not specify MPEG1.

I have MPEG2 files created with .mpg extension.
    iMac 24 2.8Ghz, iPhone, TV, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Parallels 4.0.3540 with XP, Panasonic HDC-SD5
  • Debbie Mileham Calculating status...
    Jan 13, 2009 10:11 AM (in response to cube60)
    Someone on AppleCare phone help suggested Handbrake.com (free)
    I downloaded, used it and converted .mpg to .mp4
    They are working fine into iMovie. Just a thought.
    Blessings!
    macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • MovieLove Calculating status...
    Mar 12, 2009 4:07 PM (in response to cube60)
    hey-

im having the same problem and ive converted a video using handbrake from an MPG to a mp4 but it still will not show up in imovie. did i do something wrong along the way?
    help!
    MacbookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.