Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 3rd GEN - appears dead (not charging, not responding)

Hi folks,
I dug out my old iPod {(pretty sure it's a 3rd generation) it's the 40Gb iPod (with Dock Connector - purchased July 2004} to fire up and use, but it appears completely dead. Unresponsive to any charging. I left it plugged in to my USB port of my macbook overnight, but still nothing. I haven't used it for over 2 years. I don't have my docking station to try charging via that and a power supply. I thought USB charging would be ok still?

I've search around a bit, but didn't find much info for 'totally dead' help.

Any ideas to help get this thing back to life? Or is it lost forever?
Thanks
Alessandro

15" Macbook Pro Intel (MA609LL), Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.16Ghz 3Gb Ram; 500Gb HDD

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 2:08 PM

If it's a 3rd gen iPod (with a touch wheel and four separate round touch buttons in a line), it will only charge over a FireWire connection. If you bought it new, you should have a FireWire cable and power adapter, so try using those to see if the iPod will charge.

Since your MacBook Pro has a FireWire port, you should be able to use that iPod with the FireWire docking cable and connect it to your Mac.

Alternately, if you want to use it with USB, you can get this special cable

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9688G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

You connect the USB end to your Mac's USB port. You connect the FireWire end to your FireWire power adapter (to supply the power for charging while the iPod is syncing over USB).
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2009 2:08 PM in response to Alessandro74

If it's a 3rd gen iPod (with a touch wheel and four separate round touch buttons in a line), it will only charge over a FireWire connection. If you bought it new, you should have a FireWire cable and power adapter, so try using those to see if the iPod will charge.

Since your MacBook Pro has a FireWire port, you should be able to use that iPod with the FireWire docking cable and connect it to your Mac.

Alternately, if you want to use it with USB, you can get this special cable

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9688G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

You connect the USB end to your Mac's USB port. You connect the FireWire end to your FireWire power adapter (to supply the power for charging while the iPod is syncing over USB).

Jan 12, 2009 3:34 PM in response to Alessandro74

*Alessandro,*

**I'm afraid this is not a reply per se, meaning I only have one meagre idea for how you can get your iPod back to life as I'm suffering the very same problem! I was unaware that our iPods are considered 3rd Generation iPods: I purchased my iPod end of August 2004. I suppose the major difference is, as a linguist, I've been using my iPod with a fair amount of regularity to record (with iTalk) speaking exam results until this morning when to my utter embarrassment and shock it went totally dead. I tried to toggle the on/off hold button and then press Menu until the Apple logo appeared, but no Apple logo appeared. As a last resort, you may wish to try this. I also tried charging it directly with dock and power supply. Still no response.**

**I would dread to think our iPods are lost forever - I have important research data on mine - but reckon we're most probably in need of battery replacement. I notice that you're in the UK. I'm an American residing in Cambridge, UK. I have no idea what battery replacement entails, whether it's expensive, nor whether this can be done at the Apple shops in London and/or Cambridge.**

**I note, too, that you've had 34 or 35 reads but no replies: I suppose because we're bit out of date as far as iPods go. 🙂 Should you receive a reply that contains an extraordinary solution, could you please e-mail it to me in all convenient speed at: joetune@gmai.com**

**SOS!!! My work suffers without my iPod!!!**

*Sincerely,*

**Joseph. (joetune)**

Jan 12, 2009 4:31 PM in response to joetune

You can get a replacement battery on eBay for about $10, including shipping. Here's an example

[on UK eBay...|http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APPLE-iPod-3G-REPLACEMENT-BATTERY-1200Ah-3RD-GENE RATION W0QQitemZ260343652586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_MP3Access_RL?hash=item260343652586 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318]

Note: For the 3rd gen iPod, the replacement batteries are usually much better than the original stock battery.

They generally come with the plastic tools used to open the iPod. If you try to use metal tools (such as a screwdriver), you will damage the case. Here is a helpful guide.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-3rd-Generation/92

I provided some tips recently in a separate topic thread.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8782728#8782728

Jan 12, 2009 11:44 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hey, thanks for the replies and the information. I've ordered a replacement battery from ebay with the tools, so waiting to see if that will get it back to life.

The only problem is that my power/docking connector is in France, and won't be able to get it for a month or so.....

I always thought the iPod could charge via USB too?!!!

iPod 3rd GEN - appears dead (not charging, not responding)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.