Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing leading "./" in file paths

Hi

I am writing a script to compare the existence of files in <source> directory with <dest> directory, and if so the size of each. Passed experience has told me that a bash shell buffer cannot hold all the names of files. (there are more than 102,000 files).

Luckily we use a strict folder structure for 3 levels: Client/Project/Stage. (After this the folder names are not consistent.)

So I wrote a script as follows:
sourcepath=$'/Volumes/SOURCE/ProjectWork'
destpath=$'/Volumes/DEST/ProjectWork'
logfile='~/Desktop/file_compare.txt'
for client in $(find $sourcepath -type d -depth 1 ! -name '.DS_Store'); do
for proj in $(find $client -type d -depth 1 ! -name '.DS_Store'); do
for stage in $(find $proj -type d -depth 1 ! -name '.DS_Store'); do
for f in $(find . -type f ! -name '.*'); do
# check file exists in destination folder
done
done
done
done

Problem is the $f variable contains a "./" at the front, which I need to strip off before checking exists in destination folder, otherwise folder cannot be found, i.e. /Volumes/DEST/Projects/Client/Project/Stage/./Folder/Filename

Any ideas how to handle this or improve upon it please? (I only really know how to dabble with bash and use of sed or awk were not successful.)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
C.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 10:33 AM

Hello,

You could have sed strip those characters:
<pre style="padding-left: .75ex; padding-top: .25em; padding-bottom: .25em; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 1ex; max-width: 20ex; overflow: auto; font-size: 10px; font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; color: #444; background: #eee; line-height: normal">sed 's#^\./##'</pre>
--
Cole
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2009 10:33 AM in response to Craig Roberts1

Hello,

You could have sed strip those characters:
<pre style="padding-left: .75ex; padding-top: .25em; padding-bottom: .25em; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 1ex; max-width: 20ex; overflow: auto; font-size: 10px; font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; color: #444; background: #eee; line-height: normal">sed 's#^\./##'</pre>
--
Cole

Jan 12, 2009 10:56 AM in response to Craig Roberts1

Craig Roberts1 wrote:
Problem is the $f variable contains a "./" at the front, which I need to strip off before checking exists in destination folder, otherwise folder cannot be found, i.e. /Volumes/DEST/Projects/Client/Project/Stage/./Folder/Filename

It just occurred to me that you may not need to remove the leading ./. While it's not that clean looking, I think it is a valid path.

--
Cole

Jan 13, 2009 6:37 AM in response to Craig Roberts1

Hi Craig,

What I posted was a single sed substitution command (s) that matches a leading (^) period followed by a forward slash. If a leading ./ is found, it is replaced by nothing. Usually the regex delimiter is /, but sed will allow alternates. I used # so I wouldn't have to escape the forward slash. Here are couple examples that may be a little easier on the eyes:
<pre style="border: 1px solid #ddd; padding-left: .75ex; padding-top: .25em; padding-bottom: .25em; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 1ex; max-width: 50ex; overflow: auto; font-size: 10px; font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; color: #444; background: #eee; line-height: normal">echo 'Ho Ender' | sed 's/^H/Y/'
Yo Ender

echo 'Ho Ender' | sed 's/^H//'
o Ender
</pre>
A few sed tutorials:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sed1.html
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html
http://www.panix.com/~elflord/unix/sed.html

--
Cole

Jan 13, 2009 11:07 AM in response to Craig Roberts1

This is the inner most loop of your code:

done

You may find it easier to use some shell magic to strip off the ./

f=${f#./}
done

The *${variable#match}* variable substitution operation. The # here says if the beginning of the variable's value begins with the *match* string, remove that string (the smallest match). If there is no match, just substitute the entire variable's value.

In *${variable##match}* the ## says starting at the beginning of the variable's value, look for the largest match, and remove that.

What makes the powerful is that you can use file selection wildcards. For example you could remove all the just the first directory in a path with

new=${file#*/}

And you can remove *ALL* the directories in the file name and leave just the file name using:

new=${file##*/}

There is also *${variable%match}* and *${variable%%match}* where the % and %% are similar to the # and ## except the % and %% says anchor the match at the end of the variable's value. So you can remove stuff from the end of the value.

Another bit of useful magic that goes with this is that the *match* string can also be or contain another variable

new=${old##${my_match_1}}
new=${old%${my_match_2}.mov}
new=${old%%${my_match_3}.[0-9]*}

Removing leading "./" in file paths

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.