Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect Mac Pro to 802.11n 5Ghz

Hi,
I tried to change the settings on my Airport Extreme to 802.11n 5Ghz only and when I did this, my Mac Pro could no longer connect to the network via Airport. My 2 iMacs could still connect without any issues, so I am hoping someone can offer some advice here. The Mac Pro has no problems with 802.11n 2.4Ghz.
The Mac Pro is a 2 x 2.66 Dual core model running 10.5.6 .
Thanks,
Chuck

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 5:22 PM

15 replies

Jan 14, 2009 2:34 AM in response to flumpydog

Hi, I dont have an answer but seem to have the same problem.

My Mac Pro is a quad core 3.0 Ghz, Intel Xeon chip set, running Leopard 10.5.6

When I try to connect to a 5 Ghz 802.11n config on my Airport Extreme it says "connection timed out" when trying to establish a connection to the network. My Mac Book Pro (not latest model, one before) seems to have no problem and connects to the 802.11n network

Ive had to drop back to 2.4Ghz

Can anyone help with this problem?

Apr 26, 2009 3:17 AM in response to Flying-Orlando

I can confirm that downgrading from 7.4.1 to 7.3.2 fixed the problems I was having with connecting to a Time Capsule running 802.11N only (5GHz).

Under 7.4.1 I was completely unable to connect to the wireless network. More often than not, it didn't even show up when my MBP scanned for reachable networks. Under 7.3.2, the wireless network is identified every time and I'm able to connect first time almost instantly.

Related log entries for others having issues (will assist with locating Flying-Orlando's fix above)

26/04/09 5:51:23 PM airportd[432] Error: Apple80211Associate() failed -6
26/04/09 5:51:23 PM SystemUIServer[144] Error: airportd MIG failed = -6 ((null)) (port = 68615)
26/04/09 5:51:23 PM airportd[432] Error: process commanddict() failed

Jun 25, 2009 6:23 AM in response to RubyRuby

With 7.4.1 I could not get my AEBS to run n-only 5GHz, went back to 5.3.2.
I tried 7.4.2 and still could not get the n-only 5GHz to work, again back to 5.3.2.

I restarted the AEBS and the computer several times (I had to access the AEBS via ethernet once the 5.4.2 firmware upload completed.) The airport hub runs with a solid green light and works with g protocol but refuses to connect with the MBP when set to n-only.

Is there an aspect to setting this up that I'm missing?

Jun 26, 2009 7:02 AM in response to EdwinRW

I've been having the same problem and glad to come across this thread.

Test Systems
Time Capsule - 7.4.2
MBP 2.8 Latest 2009 Model - 10.57

Reset TC to Defaults - Configured for Bridge Mode, 802.11n Only (5GHz), WPA2 Personal

Sitting the computer right next to the TC, AirRadar reports a max of ~75% Signal Strength
Move ~30 Feet Away (Indoors - No Walls) - Drops to less than ~40% but still works
Move ~50 Feet Away (Indoors - No Walls) - Connection Timeout, 0% Signal, etc.

If I change to 802.11n (B/G Compatible) - 50 Feet away reports 40% signal strength and no connection problems. Sitting right next to TC reports +95%. In this mode, I can connect to the network from anywhere in the house.

If I go back to N-Only and Change the Channels (Holding Down Option Key), selecting different channels does not make any difference.

In my environment, Air Radar always reports 7.8% - 8.2% noise no matter how far away I go (until I lose singal) and only up to 75% - 78% signal sitting next to the TC.

To me is sounds like when setting the TC to N Only, it is dropping the output signal.

I also called AppleCare and they said take the unit in for testing. After finding this, I'm not sure mine has a problem as it looks to be more widespread.

BR,
-chris

Message was edited by: Chris Cantrell

Jun 27, 2009 10:58 AM in response to EdwinRW

Thanks, EdwinRW. When I'm using 7.3.2 I have no trouble at all running an n network with my 2007 MPB. However, with 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 firmware the MPB won't find the network at all, even when manually directed using the "join other network" drop down.

Are there some significant improvements after 7.3.2 that would make this worth spending more time on?

I am up to date with Airport Utility 5.4.2.

Aug 28, 2009 10:10 PM in response to flumpydog

Hi,
I am having similar issues on my Mac Pro and my AEBS. My AEBS is the model with no dual band and I have been trying to just use it in N 5Ghz mode. My macbook pro connects perfectly at this setting but I have tried all firmware downgrades on my AEBS down to 7.2 but my Mac Pro refuses to connect at both N 2.4Ghz or N 5Ghz it will only connect when the setting is on 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible). I also checked to see if my airport was N compatible and if it needs the enabler but it is fully enabled and N compatible. Does anyone have any ideas? It's making me go crazy! 🙂

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 30, 2009 10:58 AM in response to flumpydog

I too have this same problem on this one laptop. Other laptops mac and windows, iPhones, etc. can connect via wifi. But this ONE MBP will not connect nor see the device unless I keep the firmware at 7.3.2. I was dealing w/ this about 6 months ago. I downgraded the firmware to 7.3.2 it worked fine. I thought well maybe the New firmware would fix the problem. It didn't. I'm back down to 7.3.2 and everything works fine. So I'm not sure if this is my MBP wifi or Network Extreme problem. It's very annoying. (connecting via network cable works fine on the newer firmware upgrades.)

Cannot connect Mac Pro to 802.11n 5Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.