Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Macbook Pro and Time Capsule

I have a macbook pro and an air that backs up to the time capsule. I close the lids on both when I go to bed at night, when i open up the macbook pro in the morning I get a "the backup disk image could not be mounted" the only way to fix this is to reboot the macbook pro, then it backs up just fine. The air does not have this issue. Any idea what could be doing this? It's been working fine for 6 months, then all of a sudden it started doing this. If I go and try to mount the sparse bundle manually it says the resource is not available.

Macbook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 14, 2009 8:19 AM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2009 10:07 AM in response to phinsup

I have a Macbook Pro and Time Capsule and this issue was happening to me too for a little while. However, my TC would not backup at all during this period. The issue with mine was that the last backup had become corrupted (somehow?!). I was able to mount the sparse bundle and delete the latest backup. It then proceeded to slowly backup, but it worked. Since that initial backup, it's been speedy again.

If you can't get your sparse bundle to mount, perhaps try rebooting the TC. You can do this through the Airport Utility. Just highlight the TC on the left, and choose the Base Station menu and click Restart. Does that allow you to mount the sparse bundle?

--Travis

Jan 14, 2009 12:47 PM in response to phinsup

The issue is almost certainly an incomplete or corrupted backup in that sparse bundle, from what I've read on this topic. If you can get the sparse bundle to mount, deleting the last backup from the MBP should solve this issue. You can also try going to System Preferences --> Time Machine. Click "Change Disk" and reselect your Time Capsule. If that doesn't fix it and the sparsebundle will not mount, you may need to create a new backup. I'm not aware of a way to fix that issue. Try Googling around a bit.

--Travis

Message was edited by: Travis A.

Message was edited by: Travis A.

Issues Macbook Pro and Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.