Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Proof Of Purchase Do I need

I bought my Macbook Pro on 2/8/2008 from MacMall, I bought an applecare warranty today and went to register it, apple says my macbook pro is no longer under warranty (even though I registered it). I have no idea where the original receipt is, will the email from macmall indicating my order date and purchase price emailed to them suffice?

Thanks

Macbook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2009 8:04 PM

5 replies

Jan 16, 2009 8:11 PM in response to phinsup

Hi, phinsup. You'll have to ask Applecare directly — nothing that any of us can tell you will have any influence on what AppleCare decides. Pull together all the documentation you can, including the credit card statement showing when your account was charged for the machine.

Jan 16, 2009 8:20 PM in response to eww

That ***** considering I did their "register my product" crap from the get go, figured I wouldn't have to worry about it. Maybe macmall can send me something. I'm hoping since i started the process today that if I cant get this sorted out by 2/8 they will cut me some slack, but at this point I seriously doubt it.

Message was edited by: phinsup

Jan 16, 2009 8:54 PM in response to phinsup

Phinsup: One of the things you learn to do after one or two incidents like this is *save the receipts* for your big purchases. You'll never be sorry if you do, but you'll often be sorry if you don't, and you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

I had an experience very much like yours with AppleCare five years ago. I hashed things out over the phone with them, and eventually it became apparent that with my aging eyes, I had mistakenly substituted an "S" for a "5" (or vice versa) in my computer's serial number when I registered it. The result was that when I bought the AppleCare Protection Plan several months later, my Powerbook wasn't in Apple's registration database under its correct serial number, so I couldn't register my APP. The whole thing finally got sorted out after a few phone calls and faxes (yes, I had my original receipt), and wouldn't you know, after all that hassle, I never needed the AppleCare for a blessed thing. That computer always worked well and still does, though it looks weary and worn now.

Anyway, the hint you might take from this story is to make darn sure you're reading your computer's serial number correctly when you talk to the AppleCare people again, and if there's a character in it that you could easily have misread or mistyped when you registered it, ask whether your serial number shows up with warranty coverage if you substitute the likely alternate reading of that character. You can actually check alternate serial numbers for warranty coverage yourself, using this page:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Jan 17, 2009 12:24 AM in response to eww

I have every scrap of paperwork from the stuff I ordered that transaction except the receipt and I am pretty sure I know why. I think my wife sent off the original for a rebate and didn't make a copy. I am hoping MacMall will be able to reprint it for me, we'll see.

As far as the serial number, I copied and pasted it right from my system info screen, but i will double check it from under the battery right now to be absolutely sure.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

What Proof Of Purchase Do I need

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.