Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Audo When Importing CD

For the last month or so, when I'm importing a CD into iTunes, I don't hear the tracks as they're importing. I seem to remember that iTunes Preferences used to have a setting to allow you to hear playback as they're imported (or not), but I don't see that option anymore. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Steve

MacBook 13", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 17, 2009 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2009 3:26 PM

That preference was removed in the new iTunes. You can use the terminal application on your Mac to fix this. Quit iTunes. Open Terminal (in your utilities folder in your applications folder). Copy this command and paste it in your terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes play-songs-while-importing -bool TRUE

Type return. Quit terminal. Launch iTunes and you'll now listen while importing.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2009 3:26 PM in response to Steven Springer

That preference was removed in the new iTunes. You can use the terminal application on your Mac to fix this. Quit iTunes. Open Terminal (in your utilities folder in your applications folder). Copy this command and paste it in your terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes play-songs-while-importing -bool TRUE

Type return. Quit terminal. Launch iTunes and you'll now listen while importing.

Feb 28, 2009 11:48 PM in response to Jim VanLeeuwen

I also thought I wanted this feature back, but I guess what I really wanted was the option to toggle this off and on. Now I want it off. I'm finding it slows down the import speed and I don't want to mute the whole computer if I'm not wanting to hear the importing music. How do I undo that terminal command?

And to show you the type of rookie you're dealing with, I'm not sure I entered it correctly in Terminal after reading you're reply. After copying and pasting that line in Terminal, I typed the word "return" and then hit the return key and realized you may have meant just hit the return key and not type out the word. Any damage done?

Thanks

No Audo When Importing CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.