Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distribute Graphic Objects Not Working

If I create four overlapping graphic objects (in my case pictures) on a page and then select the four objects and then try either distribute horizontal or distribute vertical neither distribution works, the objects being positioned willy-nilly on the page.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 1.67 GHZ -- 17" -- 2 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 18, 2009 11:13 AM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2009 12:28 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

Hi TaliesinSoft,
Welcome to Pages '09.

It sounds as though you didn't group the photos.

With the photos on the screen hold down the Command key then click each photo.
At the top of the screen click Arrange > Group. You now have one item.
Click Inspector > Metrics Inspector, at the bottom is Rotate. Together now they will rotate.

These Discussions are enduser helping enduser, not Apple employees answering questions. Apple provides these discussion forums for endusers however, Apple neither monitors nor engages in discussions. Enduser such as yourself when they have extra time answer questions.

Again, welcome to Pages '09 Discussions, have fun here.

Cordially,
RicD

Jan 18, 2009 12:49 PM in response to Ric Donato

Ric you have not understood what the OP has said.

The distribute feature is supposed to spread several different objects evenly either horizontally or vertically, see p155 of the UserGuide.

…and yes it is not working properly, when I tested it with 3 objects, nothing happened horizontally and only 2 distributed vertically.

I think this is worth a bug report back to Apple.

Jan 18, 2009 1:45 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi PeterBreis0907,
Yes you and the OP are correct it isn't performing properly. Actually quite strangely.

Here's what I did:
1. Sized the photos so they could fit side by side slightly overlaid within the margins.
2. Click Arrange > Distribute > Horizontally. They did it properly; good start.
3. Click Arrange > Distribute > Vertically, bam, everything is misaligned. Not a pretty sight.
4. Again click Arrange > Distribute > Vertically, the photos flip in place vertically. Is that weird or what?

Yes I agree this is worth a bug report back to Apple. I'll send one as well.

Oh, I think my medication is now kicking in.

Cordially,

RicD

Jan 18, 2009 1:53 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

"If I create four overlapping graphic objects..."

In AppleWorks, this was more accurately labeled "Distribute space between objects."

Distribute objects works (in the limited testing I did) when there is empty space to be distributed, but not if the objects overlap (in the direction for which space is to be distributed).

If you can position a vertical line where it crosses more than one of the objects, then vertical distribution will not work.

If you can position a horizontal line where it crosses more than one of the objects, then horizontal distribution will not work.

Regards,
Barry

Jan 18, 2009 1:54 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

I think the problem is that "distribute" is intended to make the space between objects even. If there's not enough space on the page, then this can't be done, and the results are sort of a jumble. Keynote avoids this problems by positioning objects off the slide, but Pages doesn't really allow for objects which are off the page (if you move it off the page downward, you'll end up moving it to a different page).
Experiment with smaller objects and you'll see what I mean. Looks like "distribute" isn't well defined for situations where the objects can't be distributed on the page.

Jan 18, 2009 1:55 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

It seems to work for me, let's examine what you're doing compared to what I'm doing to see where we differ.

1) Create three shapes on top of each other.
2) Select all three shapes.
3) Arrange > Distribute Objects > Horizontally

What should happen is that the objects should spread out horizontally such that the bounding box on the right of one touches the bounding box on the left of the other. Something similar should happen when you distribute Vertically.

User uploaded file

If shapes work right, then the difference must be between images and shapes. Click your image, check the "Wrap" tab in the inspector and see what Object Placement is set to be. If it's Inline, then there's more than just the image's position determining where it will go.

Jan 18, 2009 2:54 PM in response to James_L. Ryan

As the originating poster in this thread it's beginning to appear that my expectations of "distribute" were that of InDesign's definition and apparently not of Pages. With InDesign if I have a set of objects, overlapping or otherwise, and I choose to distribute them, if horizontal the leftmost and rightmost objects in the set will remain in position and the remainder will be repositioned so that the centers are equidistant, and if vertical the result will be similar with the topmost and bottommost objects remaining fixed.

Distribute Graphic Objects Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.