Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Chat Won't Work using WiFi in iChat

Hello.

I somehow cannot get my video chat up and running with iChat's latest upgrade..
Does anyone have any idea for solution?

Please help out.
I am on MacBook Pro 15" with Mac OS leopard's latest upgrade.

best
Malik

MacBook pro 15 inch, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 15 inch mac book pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2009 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2009 6:15 AM

Do you have Perian Quicktime plug-in installed.
15 replies

Jan 20, 2009 12:17 PM in response to Malik_Sweden

The main thrust of the answers in that Other thread is the Change of Setting in System Preferences > Quicktime > Streaming tab to 1.5Mbps

This - System Preference > Quicktime > Streaming (tab) - means go to (open) System Preferences then click on the Quicktime Item to open that. Open the Streaming tab and set the speed to 1.5Mbps

User uploaded file

8:16 PM Tuesday; January 20, 2009

Jan 21, 2009 11:06 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Ralph!

I set the streaming speed in Quick Time settings to 1.5 Mbps ... But still I was unable to do video chat with my buddy in iChat. I could do it again though using ethernet cable plugged.
The other person is also using ethernet cable, if it helps. And he has no wifi. So when I use WIFI then he is still on ethernet.

Best
Malik

Jan 22, 2009 12:39 PM in response to Malik_Sweden

Ok,

Check that in the Mac Firewall (System Preferences > Security > Firewall that the Advanced Button does not show you doing Stealth ?

In the main part of the Firewall make sure you are using either Allow All or Allow Specifics and that iChat is then in the list.
iChat is not an Essential)

Are you changing from Ethernet to WiFi when iChat is Open ?
If so do the change before staring iChat.

Also try Rebooting the Wifi Device (Router) by turning the power off for 10 secs.

If I asked would you know how to change the Channel the WiFi Device uses ?
The Mac will see any of the channels that can be used so only the device would need changing.
If so what channel is it using now ?

User uploaded file

8:39 PM Thursday; January 22, 2009

Video Chat Won't Work using WiFi in iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.