Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with headphones

Okay, I have a 20" iMac and yesterday I bought a cheap Radioshack audio cable so that I can plug my guitar into my computer to record in GarageBand. I had some hassle in getting the guitar to come through and I found out I had to turn on "Monitor" and then my guitar came through my speakers. The problem is I can't get the guitar to come through the headphones. And when I unplug them, I have to restart GarageBand because my guitar signal cuts off. Am I doing something wrong? Also, if anyone has better suggestions for recording an electric guitar on my iMac then that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Message was edited by: Warheart1188

20-inch iMac (2.4 GHz), 250 GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 19, 2009 12:47 PM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2009 12:52 AM in response to Warheart1188

I thought normally if you plug in the headphone it overrides the speakers.
Try going to GB Prefs, Audio/MIDI and choosing Built-In as the output.

Certainly an audio interface is better for recording guitar (or anything, really).
M-Audio, PreSonus, Alesis, etc, etc, etc, make interfaces (I like firewire best, but USB will do). You can start here: http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Interfaces.html (also lots of useful info on that site for beginners).
Also search Google, or go to zzSounds, Sweetwater, MusicansFriend, etc.

Problems with headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.