Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie malfunction

I've been using Imovie on this machine for a over a year now and it has been working just fine. My usual procedure is to connect my Sony Mini DV camcorder via firewire. When I open Imovie, I set it to save the clips and project to external harddrive connected via Firewire 800. Recently I've been experiencing the following issues:

1) After selecting "import", Imovie starts the camcorder playback and the camcorder begins to play. Before anything is captured, Imovie shuts down. I receive the message "Imovie has shut down but all other programs are unaffected" (or something like that). It then asks if I want to send a report to Apple. Part of the report reads as follows:
Date/Time: 2009-01-19 11:23:47.886 -0800
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: iMovie HD
Path: /Applications/iMovie HD.app/Contents/MacOS/iMovie HD
Parent: WindowServer [59]

Version: 6.0.3 (6.0.3)
Build Version: 14
Project Name: iMovieApp
Source Version: 2670200

PID: 250
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC BADACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN INVALIDADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x356594ff

There is of course a lot more info than this but I thought I would share this and see what response I get.

2) Another symptom I sometimes experience is Imovie will start and capture fine but the desktop is visible through the Imovie screen. The Imovie screen is all there and functional, its just see-through (opaque?). When this happens, the whole process works fine beginning to end. When finished capturing I can do all my editing and whatever else I want to do, save it and use the project in IDVD just like normal.

Both of these problems can usually be remedied by turning the computer off and then back on. Once in awhile it has to be rebooted more than once in order to clear things up.

Looking forward to any help I can get.

Imac 2.16ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Maxtor 1TB FW800

Posted on Jan 19, 2009 4:12 PM

5 replies

Jan 24, 2009 8:13 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I deleted the 'com. apple.imovie.plist file, however there was no number behind it. This seems to help, for the next 1 or 2 times that I open Imovie but then the problem presents itself again. Must I delete this file on a regular basis or is something else we can try.

I've been a little busy and don't have a lot of time to spend on this, thus the slow response from me. But I do thank you for your help and quick response.

Jan 25, 2009 8:09 AM in response to teunis1

Yet another symptom has now reared its ugly head. Beginning capture, everything seems to be working fine except the preview screen. It stays a very pretty shade of blue. I can hear the audio and see the clips appearing on the right, just no preview. I choose to hit cancel at that point to which Imovie shuts down completely.
A little off-topic here, but whats the latest on Im '09? When will they create an Imovie 09 forum?

Imovie malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.