Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp hanging up during Device Installation

Hi all. I am in the middle of trying to install Windows XP Home Edition using boot camp. At the moment, my computer is in the middle of installing windows and has the progress bar for "Installing Devices" showing 33 minutes remaining for setup to complete. I have been dutifully following the "Boot Camp Setup and Installation Guide," and have carefullyl followed each step. I realize that once windows is installed, I will need to install boot camp drivers from the Mac OS X disk. However, the machine has been sitting on the 33 minutes left mark for about 1/2 hour now. I even tried shutting down the machine and restarting, but the install picks up right at the same spot. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 19, 2009 8:27 PM

4 replies

Jan 20, 2009 10:51 AM in response to Bob Krugmire

After trying to swap out the original Windows XP installation disk for a brand new, tested out, disk and still running into the same hang problem, I gave the good folks at Apple Support a call. It turns out that there has been an update to Boot Camp (which, surprisingly) does not automatically update when other software updates are pushed out to users. The link for this update can be found at: http://support.apple.com/downloads/BootCamp_Update_2_1_for_WindowsXP
Apparently, this update to Boot Camp is required when trying to install a Service Pack 3 version of Windows XP. It is a large update (216 MB), and I will report back on whether this helps my issue or not.

Boot Camp hanging up during Device Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.