Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule as router or node

I am new to apple. Purchased 1TB time capsule with my imac. I currently have Motorola sbg900 wireless cable modem/router for the network. I have read about dropped internet service on these forums. Wondering do I want to set up the time capsule as the wireless router on my system and have cableone disable the router on the modem or use the time capsule as a node on my home intranet?
I will be backing up my iphone and wife's pc and pc laptop to the capsule.

Imac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 20, 2009 8:01 AM

8 replies

Jan 20, 2009 8:20 AM in response to agc111

Hello agc111. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

If you are currently satisfied with the performance of your Motorola modem/router, it would be far simpler to just configure the Time Capsule (TC) to "join an existing wireless network" as a wireless client than to do the switch ... and would be my recommended way to go.

You could also connect the TC directly to the Motorola by Ethernet, and then, create a "dual band" network where the TC can provide a 802.11n only wireless network and the Motorola a 802.11g one. This way clients of either type can get the best bandwidth performance and still be able to access the TC for backups.

Jan 24, 2009 9:20 AM in response to Tesserax

With the help of cable provider, I have set up the time capsule. The motorola modem/wireless router is still the hub for the wireless. My TC seems to work fine, however, after each back up the imac looses internet connecction and I have to go back in to reestablish the connection. I would like to set up the TC as the wireless router and not as a node on the network but am afraid to do so due to the loss of connection after backups. Wondering if that will still occur if the TC is the router.

Jan 24, 2009 6:02 PM in response to agc111

With the help of cable provider, I have set up the time capsule.

Would you please elaborate on what exactly was the result of this "setup" with your cable provider. Is the Motorola providing the primary router functions that include NAT & DHCP services? ... and how is the TC now configured: router, wireless access point or joined as a wireless client?

Jan 25, 2009 11:03 AM in response to Tesserax

The TC was acting as the router, ethernet connected to the modem. The disconnect kept occurring yesterday, so I changed back to ethernet connecting the imac to the modem. However, I have trouble connecting the TC to the wireless network, imac does not see the disk. I can reset it. It will then see the disk, I set it up for backup and after leaving setup, the TC continues with amber flashing light

Jan 26, 2009 8:12 PM in response to agc111

It will then see the disk, I set it up for backup and after leaving setup, the TC continues with amber flashing light

A persistent, flashing amber light indicates that any of the several potential conditions may require your attention:

o The base station has not yet been configured because it is new, or the reset switch has been set.
o You have selected a security configuration that is not recommended.
o One of several other conditions, such as a disconnected Ethernet cable or invalid IP address has been detected.
(ref: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305101)

If you run the AirPort Utility, it will show an amber circle on the summary page next to the area(s) causing the problem. Click on this amber circle and it should provide an explanation.

Jan 27, 2009 10:39 PM in response to Tesserax

I have tried the above multiple times last night. I use airport utility to access the tc. It does not see the tc until I reset the TC. If I click on the base station it states I have 2 problems, 1 the ethernet is unplugged. I ignore this problem because the imac has the ethernet connection and is functional.
I set up the TC to join the wireless network entering the security code. The update fails. Would I be better setting this up as a bridge connection?

Time capsule as router or node

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.