Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyperlinks in Page Layout -- Workaround of Sorts

As things currently stand with Pages in Page Layout view I cannot create bookmarks within a document and thus hyperlinks elsewhere in that document to other pages in the same document. I've requested that this capability be added to Pages. Why it is missing just boggles me. Am I the only one that has a need for such a feature?

As a workaround, after exporting the document to a PDF, I can use Preview to create the wanted bookmarks and the links within the same document to those bookmarks. The huge drawback to this approach is that if for any reason I need to make a change in the Pages document all of the bookmarks and hyperlinks created with Preview are lost and have to be rebuilt from scratch.

I'm curious as to whether there is perhaps another way to create the hyperlinks in a manner where they won't be lost if the Pages document needs revision.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 20, 2009 1:08 PM

8 replies

Jan 21, 2009 6:37 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

I've been producing a monthly newsletter in InDesign for a number of years. This month I decided to create the newsletter in Pages instead of InDesign. The three features of importance in InDesign that were not present in Pages page layout mode (which is, of the two modes in Pages, that which is closest to InDesign) were automatic creation of table of contents, and both textual and graphical hyperlinks.

The lack of the automatic table of contents creation is easily worked around, albeit that the automatic creation would be a benefit.

The lack of the hyperlinks is, to me, a major shortcoming. The workaround I've used, using Preview to create the links, has the problem that if one needs to revise the content of the document one loses all of the hyperlinks created in Preview and has to create them all over again.

So hopefully in a forthcoming upgrade we might see this deficiency addressed.

Jan 26, 2009 9:45 AM in response to James_L. Ryan

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread I use Preview to add embedded hyperlinks in a PDF document created with Pages as the ability to create such hyperlinks doesn't exist in the page layout mode of Pages at this time.

I've tested the hyperlinks in several different PDF viewers, Preview, Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Skim, and PDF Browser. In all of these the links work correctly if the viewer is set to show just a single page at a time. And, again in all of these, the links work incorrectly if the viewer is set to show the PDF as a continuous stream of pages, and in this case the links, when clicked on, will take you to the wrong page.

I'm not sure whether I'm dealing with an error as to how Preview defines these hyperlinks or an error as to how the viewers interpret the hyperlinks. I'd be most interested if anyone can provide some specifics.

Mar 11, 2009 11:58 AM in response to James_L. Ryan

I am a new user of iMac and iWorks. I like the software a lot, but when going through the process of adding bookmarks to my pages document, the option to do so (= and - buttons) stay greyed out. I followed the instructions in the help section exactly "Linking to Other Pages in a Document" and cannot figure why this isn't working.

From the exchange above, am I correct to assume this is designed NOT to work? I really don't understand because the instructions are clearly indicating it is a feature - which I used a lot on my "other" computer. Please clarify this for me.

Thanks.

Hyperlinks in Page Layout -- Workaround of Sorts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.