Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small lines / dots over parts of screen

Hi all,

My G5 has suddenly developed odd vertical lines and dots in some parts of the screen. For instance following the cursor is a patch of these lines about 15mm square. They're also over any icon and the dock. The desk top is clear but the screen saver is distorted. Dialogue boxes are affected but the field I'm typing into now is crystal clear.

No recent software or updates.

Here's a link to a screen shot which shoes the dock affected but the wall paper not.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r80/OzSTi/Picture2.jpg

Thanks in advance. Michael.

G5 iMac, G4 iMac, G4 iBook, G3 iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jan 21, 2009 3:03 AM

98 replies

Oct 29, 2018 1:10 AM in response to iMPH

I've got it too! My dock items looked just like the sample image by iMPH. I've tried several of the solutions suggested by other posters. Apple needs to acknowledge that there is an issue and kindly make users aware of their options. I may just need to junk my well used iMac24 but I'd like to know for sure that this is my best option. Way too many people are reporting this issue for it to be ignored.

Oct 29, 2018 1:10 AM in response to iMPH

*Below is a list of issues my iMac24 (iMac6,1) had when I took it to the Bridge Street Apple Store in Huntsville Alabama on May 22, 2009.*

+Issues started in April.+

+Initial Symptoms include:+

+Frazzled looking icons+

+Horizontal lines in windows that disappear if window is resized+

+Lately, (last 3-4 days) symptoms include hard freeze that request TURN OFF/TURN ON+

+Sometimes “Login Window” image is broken up but still allows login.+

+I have all automatic sleep / energy saver preferences turn OFF. System still goes to sleep after a random amount of time…I leave for lunch, when I get back there is a computer login window.+

*Bridge Street Apple Store replaced the Processor Board and the Power Supply and ran diagnostics and assured me all was well. This took 3 weeks. I picked up my iMac yesterday on June 11th.*

*Today two issue are still apparent. 1) Horizontal lines in windows that disappear if window is resized.*
*2) I have all automatic sleep / energy saver preferences turn OFF. System still goes to "semi shut down" after a random amount of time…i.e. I leave for lunch, when I get back there is a login window on my screen.*

*I told the Genius that many discussion boards confirmed these issues as being linked to the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card.*

*Can anyone confirm the two issues mentions are linked to the NVIDIA??*

Jan 25, 2009 7:23 AM in response to iMPH

Yep, same problem here. Thats how it starteda few days ago. Now I can't even see the screen from all the screen artifacts.

I've noiced that if I put the iMac to sleep using the power button on the back, it sometimes wakes up fine. From the **** I went through with my white iBook, I know this is a graphics card / motherboard issue. I wish this could be fixed but i'm affraid it can't be. I'll check this thread often just in case. Good luck to you guys too.

Jan 28, 2009 11:19 AM in response to iDisciple

My iMac started displaying 1 blue vertical line and after a couple of days I now have more than 20.
I took it to my local Authorized Service Provider and they told me I have to replace the display at an outrageous cost of U$ 680 plus tax.
I found out that Apple is being sued for this problem and after reading several discussions the problem seems to apply to serial numbers that start with W8.
It is a real shame but it seems that Apple is not offering a real solution for this problem.

Jan 31, 2009 5:31 PM in response to Malanjor

I've tried starting up using the install disk and the square of dots that 'stalk' the cursor were still present, so I'm starting the suspect a hardware issue too. Otherwise the computer is working perfectly.

If it is a video card as Malanjor suggests, is this a difficult / expensive fix?

Thanks,
Michael.

Feb 2, 2009 10:49 AM in response to Sebastian Prado

I have the same issue/problem. Two hair thin vertical lines; one 4" from the right hand edge of the display, the second a half inch from the rt. edge.
My machine serial # is also W85444ZXTAT.

Apple is aware of this? If so, what is the solution offered/ if specific serial numbers are affected then there it is a manufacturing fault.
How does one get to the related "Apple" site for a response?

Small lines / dots over parts of screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.