Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about iPod Notes

First of all, let me say that I'm not very 'techie' so if this is a stupid or naive question...please bear with me.

My question is about iPod notes. It says you can only put plain text files in the notes folder, and yet it does not display the note in plain text (I believe the display's font is Helvetica). It also wraps earlier than at 80 characters like a .txt file should.

So basically...the note never looks the same on TextEdit (or whatever) as it does when you view it to your iPod.

I have been making a few eBooks to read on my iPod and -- just to make them look neater -- I would like to do a few things like centering titles, adding dividing lines, etc.

So I was hoping somebody could tell me how to set TextEdit (or whatever) so that a note will look the same on it as it does when viewed on the iPod so that I can edit the file. --Like, what is the exact font and size of the text on the iPod display and where does it wrap exactly (I figure it must wrap according to the size of the window, since a variable number of characters can go on a line w/ non-equal-spaced type).

Also...I figure that the file I edit would have to be a .rtf since the display is not in plain text, yet it says you can only put plain text files in the iPod notes folder. So...I suppose I would have to convert the file from .rtf to .txt before putting it into my notes folder...or can you put rtf. files in there after all?

Anyways...any help anybody out there can give me with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much! 🙂

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Leopard installed---hear me roar!

Posted on Jan 22, 2009 7:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 23, 2009 11:15 AM in response to Mr. Eeee

It says you can only put plain text files in the notes folder, and yet it does not display the note in plain text (I believe the display's font is Helvetica).

Plain text means it does not have any special coding/characters in it such as Bold or Underscores or page breaks.
Plain text docs do not store anything except text. It does not specify a font. That is taken care of by whatever app you are using.

I suppose I would have to convert the file from .rtf to .txt before putting it into my notes folder...or can you put rtf. files in there after all?

You can put rtf in the Notes folder but the iPod will ignore any of the formatting.

You can use some html to format a bit as well as linking to other files/songs/photos.
Go here -> Guided by iPod and click on *iPod Notes Feature Guide* at teh bottom for a doc explaining the notes.

There are a few apps and web pages to put text docs into the correct size files.
Here's one -> http://www.ipod-notes.com/ (I haven't used it so no idea if it's any good or not).

Question about iPod Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.