Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Os X Server 10.5.6 & OS 9

I need help with setting up a 10.5.6 server. Everything looks to be setup properley ont her server. I can see and connect to the server from OS X and windows machines. The problem is I also need to alow a few old OS 9 machines to connect to the file server. The server does not show up in Chooser/Appleshare. I can connect through IP to the server but it shows all the volumes, even the ones that I have not shared out.

How do I get the server to show in the Chooser?

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2009 1:38 PM

How do I get the server to show in the Chooser?

You can't, as AppleTalk needs to be enabled on the server to do that, and Mac OS X 10.5 doesn't support it. The IP address connection doesn't require AppleTalk.

(40289)
6 replies

Jan 23, 2009 3:42 PM in response to Niel

I think there's some confusion between AppleTalk and AFP.

See the File Services Admin Guide 10.5

p. 66 "AppleTalk Support
AFP service no longer supports AppleTalk as a client connection method. Although
AppleTalk clients can see AFP servers in the Chooser, they must use TCP/IP to connect
to these servers.
For more information, see “Mac OS X Clients” on page 80 and “Connecting to the AFP
Server from Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 Clients” on page 83. "

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/resources/

At the very least, connect using the server's IP address.
There's nothing requiring you to connect as the/an admin.

Jan 23, 2009 3:47 PM in response to Niel

A larger issue of course is that at this point, any organization depending on OS 9 needs to plan their migration path away from it promptly.

I would tell any organization the same if they were relying on Win2k or earlier in any mission-critical capacity.

Yes, there are companies out there relying on truly antique (non-Apple) server hardware & software that a shrinking, select few can administer or program anymore, but those companies are living on borrowed time, or have accepted the long-term fallibility of the choice. Or, at some point the sky will truly fall for them.

Os X Server 10.5.6 & OS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.