Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not load

I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest version of Leopard. I also have the latest version of Safari. For some reason I cannot get Safari to load. The icon continues to spin and nothing happens. It does not even timeout. I have to force quit. I have reloaded the program twice and the same problem occurs.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Safari 3.2.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2009 10:54 AM

9 replies

Jan 24, 2009 12:25 PM in response to Mark905

Ok,

Try the following steps:

- Remove any folders with Safari in the name from: Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Caches
- Move Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Safari > History.plist to your Desktop
- Move Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Safari > Downloads.plist to your Desktop
- Move Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Cookies > Cookies.plist to your Desktop
- Move Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist to your Desktop

After each step retry Safari to see it now works or not.

Jan 24, 2009 1:42 PM in response to Mark905

OK. Next things to try.

Go to this folder. Again, if anything is present move it to the Desktop and retry Safari:

Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > InputManagers
Hard drive > Users > YourUsername > Library > Application Support > SIMBL

Those folders don't exist by default, so don't be worried if you can't find them.

Failing that, try running Onyx using the settings shown on this page:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_tiger.html

Good luck!

Jan 25, 2009 6:33 PM in response to iBod

Hi,

I am having the exactsame problem, ONYX did not work. I ended up buying Drive Genius, which found and fixed problems with the file structure, but it still does not work. Safari does work on another user account.

I have followed all of the suggested ideas, plus removed all Internet Browser Plugins.

I have lso tried reinstalling Safari. Firefox does work, but I need Safari to stream movies from Netflix.

I visited the Genius Bar Today, but that did not help.

Jan 31, 2009 3:04 PM in response to Nels Ferre

I have tried all solutions but none work. Safari tries to open but crashes. I can't get to remove the warning from safari preferences even if I hold the shift key. It goes straight to report but I can not do this as Safari is the default connection.
I have reinstalled Safari twice and updated the OS to 10.5.6. I spent the whole day trying to solve this.

Safari will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.