Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete v. Backspace

I am going from a full keyboard to the MBPro. Is there a key combo to delete? The key labeled "delete" is what I call "backspace".

G5 Tower, MB Pro, MacBook, a couple of MacMinis, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jan 25, 2009 8:31 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2009 5:47 AM in response to Calum

Neat. I am going to see if I can re-assign the Option key on the right side of the keyboard. I always use the left hand for fn, control, option, command, etc.

Also, more detailed description of BS vs. Del: The generally expected behavior for BS is that the character immediately left of the cursor is deleted and the cursor shifts one character to the left. The expected behavior for Del is the character immediately to the right of the cursor is deleted while the cursor stays put.

Thanks for the fn+delete tip. I am a Mac convert from PC and miss the separate keys for Backspace and Delete. (and Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, etc.) I know there are other shortcuts which I need to learn. I am working on it. 🙂

Apr 10, 2009 5:59 AM in response to seven_percent_solution

One other note, if you use an external keyboard with your MB Pro (e.g. my Microsoft Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard), the system does recognize the difference between Backspace and Delete. (But still has no understanding of Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, etc.) It would be nice if I could map the keys on the external keyboard to the Mac OS shortcuts.

Delete v. Backspace

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.