Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MOre than 7 GN of RAM

Hello, I recently bought 16GB of RAM from OWC. Everything was fine for about 1 week. Then I started to get all king of crashes and, more specifically, kernel panics. In about 1 year and a half the computer was totally stable with the standard apple 1 GB.

I've tried a lot of different combination and my conclusion is that if I only put in 8 GB of RAM the mac pro is TOTALLY stable.

Have anyone else experience this? I wish I could use the f

Mac Pro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jan 25, 2009 9:24 PM

13 replies

Jan 25, 2009 9:43 PM in response to Yvon Couture

Have you tried reseating each memory module, and/or shuffling them around (since I assume they are all the same exact module)? I also bought 16GB of ram from OWC, and at first things worked well, then on the second time I reboot System Profiler told me I had only 12GB instead of 16GB. I reshuffled the modules around and never had a problem since - it's been 7 months already. Hope that helps.

Jan 25, 2009 10:59 PM in response to marokero

I bought 8 X 2. I already email OWC. I'm waiting for their answer For years I bought things from them and it's the first time I run into problems. That memory mishap reminds me of my old dual 1.42 G4 that would crash all the time with kernel panick.

Tomorrow I will test new ordering of the memory. Now with 8 GB no crash in 3 days. I really need the 16GB because I use a lot of sample in Logic Pro.

Jan 26, 2009 5:24 PM in response to Yvon Couture

Today I shuffled the modules around. Now the system only sees 12 GB out of 16. Riser A slot 3 and 4 were reported as empty. I the shut down the Mac Pro and switched the cards. I mean I put the lower one on the top slot and the top one at the bottom. After restarting the computer the system still sees only 12 GB, but this time on Riser B slot 3 and 4.

Is that an indication that that riser card is deffective?

Jan 26, 2009 10:12 PM in response to Yvon Couture

Yvon Couture wrote:
The only thing I was worried about is that I took the cheapeast memory available from them. Should I have bought the more expensive one?

That is probably not a guaranteed cause of the problem. I also took their cheapest Mac Pro memory and it's been running flawlessly for over 2 years.

If you got a bad RAM stick, it was simply the luck of the draw, not because you bought their cheapest.

MOre than 7 GN of RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.