Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The importance of "ejecting" devices

Dear all,

Being fairly new to imacs, I still forget to eject external HDDs, usb sticks, etc before removing them...

What is the purpose of ejecting and is it vital?

many thanks 🙂

imac 24", 3.06GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), ipod touch 16GB

Posted on Jan 26, 2009 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2009 7:19 AM

Ejecting storage media allows the operating system to correctly finish writing any files and close out the device. Failure to do so - that is, just unplugging the device - could in some cases result in corrupted files and/or a corrupted drive catalog (the latter could keep the device from even mounting). It's not common, but I've seen it happen. So it's wise practice to unmount/eject any storage medium before disconnecting/removing it from the computer (this applies to all computers, regardless of the operating system).

Regards.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2009 7:19 AM in response to Fireball Dragon

Ejecting storage media allows the operating system to correctly finish writing any files and close out the device. Failure to do so - that is, just unplugging the device - could in some cases result in corrupted files and/or a corrupted drive catalog (the latter could keep the device from even mounting). It's not common, but I've seen it happen. So it's wise practice to unmount/eject any storage medium before disconnecting/removing it from the computer (this applies to all computers, regardless of the operating system).

Regards.

Jan 26, 2009 9:43 AM in response to Fireball Dragon

If you have not ejected devices but rather just unplugged them, yes, it could lead to corrupted files on the removable device, and possibly (though less likely) on the parent computer. You probably would have already discovered any corruption, though, through files not opening or devices not mounting, so you're probably OK at this point. I strongly recommend, though, that you make a practice of correctly ejecting any removable device before you disconnect it from your computer.

Jan 26, 2009 12:17 PM in response to Fireball Dragon

To add one more tip to Dave Sawyer's advice, if you are in the habit of shutting down your computer each night, as I am, you don't have to eject your external drive(s) beforehand. The shutdown process does that for you. After shutdown is complete, you can then turn off the external drive or unplug it. With my setup everything is plugged into a UPS power source so after shutdown is complete I just throw the switch on that to shut everything else off.

Rick

Jan 27, 2009 6:32 AM in response to Fireball Dragon

Just to clarify, this is the same for ipod, too?

Yes. Just be sure that the iPod isn't still saying "do not disconnect" before you shut down the system. iTunes is accessing and/or writing to the iPod when that message is present, so you don't want to shut the system down at that time. Only if after an eject the iPod has disappeared from the iTunes listing would it be safe to shut down even if the iPod still says "do not disconnect".

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

The importance of "ejecting" devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.