Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto7.1.5 library on time machine

I have iPhoto 7.1.5. My laptop was stolen, so I am using my son's old iMac and accessing my data temporarily from my external hard drive backed up by time machine (great so far, by the way). The only trouble I am having, is when I tried to import my iPhoto library from the time machine, I get a message saying that the library is locked, and then when I hit "OK", iPhoto quits - every time. How can I by-pass this message and try to re-access my library?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 27, 2009 3:40 PM

1 reply

Jan 28, 2009 3:14 PM in response to Melinda Lyons

There's no way you can access and run a library from TM. You need to restore the TM to a new computer and in that way get a full working library back. I suggest you post in the Time Machine forum as someone there might have a workaround.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

NOTE: iPhoto 8's new option in it's rebuild library window, "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" may make this tip obsolete. We'll know when users have occasion to use it and see if that's the case.

iPhoto7.1.5 library on time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.