Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 4,1 Ram Upgrade

I'm attempting to upgrade my ram from 2GB to 4GB on an early 2008, 2.5GHz, 6MB L2, MBP. I've purchased 2x2GB, PC-5300, DDR2-667MHz modules and attempted to install them. After installing the two modules my MBP would not boot. I contacted the manufacturer of the ram and they suggested attempting to install one 2 GB module and one of the original 1GB modules. This configuration functions properly. Both 2GB modules have been verified as functional when used with one of the original 1GB modules and have been tried in both slots. Any ideas as to why my MBP will not boot with more than 3GB of memory ?

MBP 4.1, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 28, 2009 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2009 8:09 PM

Hi snatchmo: Your description of the issue sounds suspiciously like an issue with incorrect RAM. There have been quite a few posts on here that are like yours. Work fine with one original stick of RAM and one new one, but will not boot with 2 new sticks. The common thread seems to be RAM that is rated at 800mHz. Is your RAM rated to work at 800mHz, as well as 667mHz? If you have a model/part number on the RAM we may be able check it's specs.

Hope this helps
Stedman
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2009 8:09 PM in response to snatchmo

Hi snatchmo: Your description of the issue sounds suspiciously like an issue with incorrect RAM. There have been quite a few posts on here that are like yours. Work fine with one original stick of RAM and one new one, but will not boot with 2 new sticks. The common thread seems to be RAM that is rated at 800mHz. Is your RAM rated to work at 800mHz, as well as 667mHz? If you have a model/part number on the RAM we may be able check it's specs.

Hope this helps
Stedman

Jan 29, 2009 9:26 AM in response to stedman1

Hi again,

Response from Centon suggests this: "MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.6 "

http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBookPro_EFI_Firmware_Update_16.

I don't think it applies.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.28f1

Still at a loss as to why both modules won't work together. Centon advises that system should boot with only one module installed, I'll give it a try.

Many thanks

MacBook Pro 4,1 Ram Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.