Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Time Machine from deleting historical backups

So for the first time I encountered what happens when Time Machine runs out of room - IT DELETES THE OLDEST BACKUPS UNTIL IT HAS ENOUGH ROOM!!!

That's terrible if you rely on those backups. We've been using it like an archive and it's been spectacular. Work on a project and delete it when I'm done because I know Time Machine has a copy.

Well, I no longer have copies of my work from Arpil until July because Time Machine deleted those AUTOMATICALLY to make room. I had always thought that it would warn me it was going to delete older backups and I could just decline. Then I'd go out and get a new drive. This make Time Machine unusable for my purposes.

Is there a was to make Time Machine just stop backing up or warn you before it erases old backups? Some way where it cannot erase them on it's own? Perhaps some Terminal command or anything?

Thanks!

24" iMac Alu, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 28, 2009 9:25 PM

9 replies

Jan 28, 2009 9:33 PM in response to Landon White

Landon,

Time Machine is not really designed for an archiving purpose. It is designed in case you accidentally delete a file or need to recover your entire system. External storage and DVD's are more for archiving and storing important files. Time Machine more or less keeps a copy of everything on your computer and makes incremental copies of the files that have changed. If you no longer have the file on your computer then it will only stay on Time Machine as long as your backup drive has space to allow it and all the other backups it is doing.

Is there a was to make Time Machine just stop backing up or warn you before it erases old backups? Some way where it cannot erase them on it's own? Perhaps some Terminal command or anything?

The only way to make Time Machine stop backing up is to disconnect the drive or turn Time Machine off in System Preferences.

Again, if the files are important enough that you need them months later, it would be best to keep a separate copy of them. In fact, many of us do multiple backups in different locations for this among many other reasons.

Jan 28, 2009 9:43 PM in response to Landon White

Landon White wrote:
So for the first time I encountered what happens when Time Machine runs out of room - IT DELETES THE OLDEST BACKUPS UNTIL IT HAS ENOUGH ROOM!!!

That's exactly what it says in Time Machine Preferences (you know, the place where you select your TM disk, and turn TM off and on.

It says very clearly that it only keeps it's hourly backups for 24 hours, and it's daily backups for a month, then weeklies for as long as it has room.

Yes. Turn it off.

Jan 28, 2009 9:57 PM in response to theonlydean

theonlydean wrote:
I guess I forgot to mention that getting a NAS with 4 x 2TB drives and room for expansion might help... at least for a little while longer 😉

TM can back up to mounted USB or F/W drives, Time Capsule, or a disk connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station. Otherwise NAS is not officially supported.

You might get NAS to work, but see V.K.'s post here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1854013&tstart=15

Jan 28, 2009 10:00 PM in response to Landon White

Landon White wrote:

That's terrible if you rely on those backups. We've been using it like an archive and it's been spectacular. Work on a project and delete it when I'm done because I know Time Machine has a copy.

Well, I no longer have copies of my work from Arpil until July because Time Machine deleted those AUTOMATICALLY to make room. I had always thought that it would warn me it was going to delete older backups and I could just decline.

in system preferences->Time machine->options there is a check box "warn when old backups are deleted". if this box is checked TM is supposed to warn you when it first starts deleting old backups. However, that particular feature is quite buggy and TM is well known not to do that on occasion. there are also other situations when it might decide to delete old backups without warning. Therefore you should NOT use TM as an archiving utility. apart from the above issues it also thins old backups and THAT is always done without warning. TM is a backup tool not an archiving one and you shouldn't use it as such.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Jan 28, 2009 10:26 PM in response to Landon White

Wow. Thanks for all the great help guys.

I guess after years of backup systems that fail or stop when a disk is full, I figured Time Machine would do the same thing and I'd just throw on another drive. I did read the statement under options but I thought it said "Warn when old backups will be deleted" not "Warn when old backups ARE deleted.)

sigh It really makes for a great archiving utility - it's so easy to search. If it simply had the option to stop backing up when the drive is full, that'd be perfect - for both backups and archiving. I know you can modify rsync to do that in linux so I'll see if such a thing exists for Time Machine.

Thanks again!

Apr 28, 2009 1:32 PM in response to golabuk

Are you serious?

First, they're no longer BACKUPS if you delete the originals. What do you think will happen to them when (not if) your TM drive fails? Will that be Apple's fault, too?

Second, did you ever bother to read the little area on the TM Preferences screen (where you turn it on or off, select/change your TM drive, etc.)? What did you think the line about keeping, hourly backups for 24 hours, daily backups for a month, and weekly backups until your disk is full actually means?

The user was unconscious, not Apple.

How to stop Time Machine from deleting historical backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.