Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rumor reguarding third-party ram

A co-worker told me today that third-party RAM will not work in the alumnium Macbooks .. Can anyone confirm this with website links, etc? I could not find anything to prove this rumor true. He stated that the only memory that will work is Samsung memory?? I highly doubt this.. Had anyone heard this rumor before? Thanks

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Late 2008 (bought in 09) 13" aluminum Macbook 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD

Posted on Jan 29, 2009 9:27 AM

15 replies

Jan 30, 2009 1:25 AM in response to jscotty29

Well, my own experience has been somehow different. I went and bought supposedly compatible Patriot sticks that made the system unstable. It would freeze with a corrupted, garbled screen after some time (from 30 minutes to 12 hours).

I kept exchanging sticks (went through about three pairs), and nothing worked. The amazing thing is that memory tests always succeeded! I ran both the Apple Hardware thingy and some third party tests.

Finally, I paid Apple their **** $300 and everything works smoothly.

Jan 30, 2009 12:05 PM in response to jscotty29

i installed a 4gb kit from Ramjet.com. they were transcend modules with samsung chips. after 3 weeks now, still no problems whatsoever. the only side effect is more speed, especially when combined with a 320gb, 7200rpm, 16mb sata2 hdd i installed at the same time.

main thing is to buy from a reputable dealer that knows and supports macs and to be VERY careful during install... these modules seem to be very static sensitive. most of the problems with the reputable modules sound like they zapped them due to improper handling.

Mar 10, 2009 8:05 AM in response to jscotty29

After a lot of trepidation reading these forums, I finally ordered a 4-gig upgrade kit from Crucial. It cost about $85, and works great -- no hangs or freezes, and a massive speedup on some tasks. VMware would bring the rest of the machine to a grinding swapping slowdown before the upgrade. It took a good 2-3 minutes to launch or suspend/quit. Now, it's more like 20 seconds. Highly recommended.

Mar 11, 2009 7:46 AM in response to jscotty29

Macbook spec memory

Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
1.25 inch (3.18 cm)
1 GB or 2 GB
200-pin
PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 MHz Type RAM

The one you are looking at has 204 pins, find a brand that has 200

I have a kingston set that works great
Warranty Terms - PartsLifetime
Warranty Terms - LaborLifetime
Computer CompatibilityMac only
Memory Size2GB
Type of MemoryPC3-8500 DDR3
Mac CompatibleYes
Speed1066MHz
Pin Configuration 200-pin SoDIMM

Rumor reguarding third-party ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.