2334 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2009 8:49 AM by BDAqua
What kind of Account(s)? IMAP or POP3?
To be on the safe side of not losing any mail...
First quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.
Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder.
Are you suggesting I archive my mail then delete the prefs?
No, not yet anyway, just want to backup everthing so we don't loose it, then Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then reboot & test, we may have more to do, but safer if we have things backed up.
Ah, i see. This is some kind of a Permissions issue. I recently ran DiskWarrior and wonder if that had some kind of negative effect. I'll need to wait for the weekend since I am really tied up with work and can't afford the hour or so run this process. I will report back soon after I run this process.
Well, i just spent the last 2 hours repairing permissions, rebuilding all my mailboxes and repairing permissions again. The problem still persists. Come to think of it the headers are now spaced out more than before. Has anyone encountered this problem before and found the cause? This is really baffling. I have another Mac receiving the same mail accounts without a glitch. What can it be?
Thanks for hanging in there.
I use Suitcase X1. I've been using it for some time now. I get the same result whether I open fonts or not, however I'll take a look at the fonts. I have tried the idea of switching fonts in the mail program to no effect. The problem resides.
I'll report back if any fonts are duplicated or bad.
I've deleted the com.apple.ATS cache and restarted. This usually clears up any font issues with suitcase.
Ran Mail with no fonts activated. Header error present.
Activated fonts. Header error present.
I've fiddled with the Fonts/Colors setting in Mail. Changed fonts to see effect. The header remains unchanged. The gap is still present in the To: and From lines.
On forwarded mail the headers appear normal in the forwarded message.
Mail saved from as far back as last year show the error in the header as well.
Unsure what else to do. Is my Mail program corrupt or is it being influenced by some outside source???
Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...
Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.
Move this Folder to the Desktop...
Move this file to the Desktop...
I have located the problem. It was me. Being more specific, like many other issues this one could be tracked down to a font. I stumbled upon the solution after remembering that I loaded Microsoft Office, which loads 1500 or so fonts in my /user folder/fonts.
Once I set my suitcase to manage them, and turn them off, the mail header problem went away. There must be one font that causes the issue, so I will have to go through and turn them on in groups to try and isolate the font. That will be really time consuming and will need to do this during down time.....
Anyway, thanks again for all your advice in this matter.