Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong location for iPhone photos

Hi,

according to iPhoto 09, i made my iPhone photos in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, although they were taken in Germany. It looks like iPhoto messed up the East- and West-Sign of the location. Any way to fix this?

Regards.

Mac Mini, MacbookPro, iPod Shuffle & iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 30, 2009 2:51 AM

15 replies

Jan 30, 2009 5:08 PM in response to LarryHN

I am also having a problem with iPhoto placing photos in the wrong place.

For example:
Using EXIF Viewer in Firefox, I get the following GPS information for an image -
# GPS Latitude Reference = N
# GPS Latitude = 39/1,30/1,12087/2500 [degrees, minutes, seconds] ===> 39° 30′ 4.8348″
# GPS Longitude Reference = W
# GPS Longitude = 79/1,25/1,6159/2500 [degrees, minutes, seconds] ===> 79° 25′ 2.4636″
# GPS Altitude = 704/1 m = 704 m

The information as contained in iPhoto is as follows for the same image:
GPS Latitude: 39.501343 degrees N
GPS Longitude: 79.417351 degrees E
GPS Altitude: 704.00 m
Place: Oakland
Garrett
Xinjiang Uygur Zizhiqu
China

Notice that the longitude shows W in EXIF viewer and E in iPhoto. I was in the west.
Another interesting thing is, I was near the city of Oakland in Garrett County Maryland, so part of it is correct.

The picture before this image is correctly place as is the picture immediately after this image.

Jan 30, 2009 9:35 PM in response to esreverse

Random thought: Is there any chance you've got an "event" that mixes photos on one side of the atlantic with photos on another side? If the same "event" contains some pictures that are somehow missing tags, it seems like iPhoto may try to place these at the "average" location of the event... which may be in the middle of the ocean. (This is just speculation, but it could explain the behavior that you -- and I -- are seeing.)

Feb 22, 2009 5:57 AM in response to esreverse

Same problem here. According to iPhoto, my photo was taken in the Atlantic. I looked up the EXIF data in iPhoto with option-command-i. It says:

GPS latitude: 46,540333 N
GPS longitude: 3,1311667 W

If I search this location in google maps with this query it shows the correct location: 46.540333, 3.1311667 (central France)

So, this seems to me like an iPhoto issue, not an iPhone one...

Feb 22, 2009 8:22 AM in response to Robzim

Robzim

Welcome to the Apple user to user assistance forums. And if you flip the sign to negative on the longitude where would it be? That is the problem with some iPhoto photos

If you are convinced that it is an iPhoto problem then the users here can not help - go to Apple - iPhoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback or call Apple care. We can help you use iPhoto - no one here can fix it

LN

Feb 22, 2009 9:10 AM in response to LarryHN

I definitely have this problem with both iPhone pictures and geotagged pictures. See: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1914573&tstart=0

Sometimes the photo initially appears in the right place (i.e. right after import), but migrates to somewhere else (e.g., center of the U.S.) after iPhoto does some additional "thinking." (Note that rebuilding the library does not seem to make any difference.)

This is definitely an iPhoto problem (although I suppose I couldn't rule out there being an iPhone problem as well).

-Mike

Wrong location for iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.