Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro - level of professionalism & interface

3 questions:

1. Logic Pro is an ABSOLUTE professional software? The built-in sounds/samples are enough professional in order to be used on official studio recordings?

2. There are sound/sample plug-ins [additional softwares] recommended by Apple for Logic Pro 8? If "yes", which ones?

3. If I will want to record a guitar I'll need an interface, right? Which are the recommended interfaces? Where should I look for them?

Thank you!

Windows XP

Posted on Jan 30, 2009 5:45 AM

17 replies

Jan 30, 2009 6:05 AM in response to Respiro

3 questions:

Ok. Shoot.

1. Logic Pro is an ABSOLUTE professional software? The built-in sounds/samples are enough professional in order to be used on official studio recordings?

Yes. If a Casio VL-1 is "professional" enough to be used on official studio recordings, then Logic's instruments certainly are. That doesn't mean you can't get better in any given category, and it really depends on your tastes and requirements.

2. There are sound/sample plug-ins additional softwares recommended by Apple for Logic Pro 8?

Again, it depends on your budget and requirements. There are a million plugins and sample libraries out there, from cheap to hyper-expensive.

3. If I will want to record a guitar I'll need an interface, right?

Er yes, if you want to be an "ABSOLUTE professional".

Which are the recommended interfaces?

If you want something simple, good quality, working great with Logic, then you can do worse than something like the Apogee Duet, unless your requirements mean you want more I/O.

Jan 30, 2009 6:34 AM in response to Respiro

The recording performance on iMac is not determined/dependent by the quality of the sound card?

The quality of the sound card's electronics (especially the preamps and A/D convertors will determine the quality of all your recorded audio.

The quality of the audio interface drivers will determine how efficiently and how well it works with the audio software.

Therefore, getting a decent, reputable audio interface is recommended.

Jan 30, 2009 7:23 AM in response to Bee Jay

1. "The quality of the sound card's electronics (especially the preamps and A/D convertors will determine the quality of all your recorded audio."

An iMac with 3.06GHz and 4Gb has a good sound card which to permit professional recordings?

2. "The quality of the audio interface drivers will determine how efficiently and how well it works with the audio software. Therefore, getting a decent, reputable audio interface is recommended."

The one you recommended, Apogee Duet, is one of the "reputable" ones?

Thank you!

Jan 30, 2009 7:49 AM in response to Respiro

An iMac with 3.06GHz and 4Gb has a good sound card which to permit professional recordings?

No, internally it has crappy, consumer level audio, a consumer mic input with no phantom powering. While you can certainly monitor from it if nothing else is around, it doesn't qualify as being ABSOLUTE professional... 😉

The one you recommended, Apogee Duet, is one of the "reputable" ones?

Do you think I would recommend something that was cheap garbage? That wouldn't be much of a recommendation, eh?

Yes, the Duet is a great interface at a budget price, if it has the features you need.

Jan 30, 2009 8:34 AM in response to Respiro

you cannot buy an iMac with a different internal soundcard.

If you wanna be really absolutely professional get an Apogee Duet or similar.
But consider some things first...
How many inputs do you need to record simultaneously?
How many outputs will you need? e.g. 2=stereo monitors (speakers), more would allow you to have Surround Sound output...

Logic is plenty professional enough. Absolutely! 😉

Jan 30, 2009 8:53 AM in response to Respiro

The Apogee Duet is NOT a sound card, it is an audio interface.

Audio interface = External sound card

It's circuits to record and playback sound, with A/D convertors (sound in), D/A convertors (sound out and associated drivers.

The only difference is that a "sound card" (from the PC world) is usually something you put inside your computer, and audio interface is a "sound card in a box". You can't put stuff inside an iMac, hence, if you don't want to use it's inbuilt audio hardware in your iMac, you need to buy better, external audio hardware.

Logic Pro - level of professionalism & interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.