Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese Input (Subscript Characters)

I am trying to type in Japanese and can do everything that I need to do on a mac, except typing some subscript characters. For example, Potato should be:
じゃがいも,
but the best that i can do is:
じやかいも
notice the difference in the size of the character.

I have read some doco that says it should just automatically detect it, but I can not get it to work.

But i can type some small characters, きにょうび (the is small) automatically.

Can anyone help me with this?

Mac Book, late 2007, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 30, 2009 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2009 5:17 AM

See this chart:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/kotoericodes.jpg

There is also one in the Kotoeri Help on your machine (toward bottom of the "flag" menu when the Kotoeri IM is active).

じゃ can be made via zya or ja.
8 replies

Jan 31, 2009 6:42 PM in response to boy.pockets

for example, there are some instance where i want to type テイ with a small イ. On a windows machine that i have used, you can do this by typing 'teli'

As it says in the chart, you can also make small stuff by typing x in front of it. So ティ is made by typing texi. Plus if you want to do the same thing as you did in windows, just go to Kotoeri Preferences and check the box for Windows behavior. Then you can get the same thing by typing teli.

Jan 31, 2009 10:46 PM in response to boy.pockets

To type out something like 「じゃがいも」, type it like this:

JAGAIMO

Hit those keys in that order.

For 「ティ」 like in 「ティー」type this like:

TEXI-

Try those out, it'll work like a charm 🙂.

Here are some other ones that might trip you up:

づ = du
を = wo
ひゅ、ぴゅ etc. = hyu, pyu, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Feb 1, 2009 2:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:
Former Windows users often don't notice the "x", because they expect to find the "l" convention somewhere. You might want to check the box for the Windows option if you are used to that.

The Windows Option is useful - i did not know about that. 
thanks.

i think that the preferences is a bit hard to find for simple people (like me). So this is how you can get to it:
- you need to have the input menu in your icon menu bar.
- change to a kotoeri input (i.e. Hiragana).
- select the icon again and it will have more options (like preferences :))

see http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?query=ctrl&story=20070209175134931 for more tips.

Japanese Input (Subscript Characters)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.