Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting Airport Express to wireless netgear router

Can I add an Airport Express to my internet network that is using a Netgear Wireless Router.

Ideally it would allow me to stream music to my remote speakers (via the Airport Express) and go on the net (via the Netgear router) at the same time??

ibook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 31, 2009 8:41 AM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2009 10:56 AM in response to Duane

Duane could you please detail how this is done as I have spent several hours trying to sort the same problem. Essentially, I hv a basic existing network comprising a Netgear modem/router and MacBook for my internet access/usage. This works w/o a problem. I'd now like to stream music from the MacBook to my speakers using an AX. I can, after frequent rescans get Airport Utility to spot the AX. I then configure it to join my wireless network. I get the message suggesting that the configuration is done and the AX is resetting itself. After that nothing happens. I lose the AX in the Airport Utility and basically have to start all over to no avail. Where am I going wrong?

Feb 14, 2009 5:16 PM in response to Duane

Will this solution also work for a Time Capsule? (i.e. just having the TC join the existing network created the Netgear router?)

Can this be done wirelessly or do you need to hard wire the TC to the Netgear router ?

Angie

Feb 14, 2009 10:03 PM in response to nakedbroker

Hi,
I have the same config and the Netgear WIFI router acts as the base to the Express. I found that you need to be sure that the Express is not configured to "extend" but it only "joins" the network. I can be downstairs and drive I tunes through the stereo with my Iphone acting as the remote. Very easy and fun to operate. Good luck, Mark

Mar 25, 2009 3:58 AM in response to nakedbroker

Apologies for interrupting but I am also having some problems connecting my new Airport Express to a Netgear Router & would appreciate some help.

I have an 814WG Cable Router to which I have t other PC's connected wirelessly without any problem.

I wish to connect the Airport Express 802.11n to my Hi-Fi to receive streamed music from one of the PC's.

I followed the instructions in the Set-up & The Airpot Utility (5.4.1) can see the AX but no matter which option I take (continue or manual set up) the "connecting to Apple Network" message appears, the green bars fill up but nothing happens. On the advice from another thread I tried the 'Firmware Update" option but it still refuses to actually connect to the AX & move to the next step of the configuration or firmware load.

A different thread suggested connecting the AX via Cat-5 for the config, but it was not visible to the Airport Utility whether connected to the router or directly to the PC. It only sees it wirelessly.

I have also performed a few hardware resets in between these activities.

Can anyone offer any more suggestions.

Cheers,

T.

Mar 28, 2009 6:24 PM in response to OldAzurian

An update! I have now got the AX connected to my network & music is streaming to it. I'm not 100% sure what was the key trick but here a list of things that may help!

1) I'm not using the Windows Firewall so I copied the entries for iTunes & the Airport Utility into my CA Firewall.
2) The Netgear wireless 'card' on my PC has it's own utility for managing the networks. So, I connected my pc to the router by Cat-5, so I could still see the router config and connected to the AX in the Netgear utility, having scanned for available networks. After this, the AX appeared as a 'Base Station' in the Airport utility list.
3) now I was able to get into the configuration of the AX & set it up for connecting to a network as a client. I had to set my router to broadcast it's SSID so the AX could see it, however. The existing WPA key worked fine.
4) The 'holy grail' of the steady green light appeared!!
5) After this I updated the AX Firmware, then moved the AX into the other room, plugged it in & success, the green light appeared again!

So, not quite as PnP as advertised, but I got there. Now to look for solutions to the short drop-outs that are occurring, must be some streaming settings somewhere or maybe the 'optical' connection may help?

Good luck.
Tony.

connecting Airport Express to wireless netgear router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.