Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Unable to get status of backup volume

3056 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2009 5:43 AM by kae RSS
kae Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 31, 2009 2:23 PM
I've been running Time Machine on my Power Mac G5 for a while, but just noticed that there was an exclamation point in the Time Machine status on the menu bar saying there was something wrong.

I opened up the Time Machine Preference and it said that the Latest Backup Failed. When I pressed the failure link on the preference panel a dialog box popped up titled "Time Machine Error" and said that the reason was "Unable to get status of backup volume"

The volume is a 2TB LaCie drive and Disk Utility says that the volume has no errors. I tried running Disk Warrior on it, but I think the drive is too big and Disk Warrior keeps running out of memory.

I ran "Repair Permissions" on the drive, but it didn't seem to see any problems.

Any ideas on how to figure out what's going on?
Power Mac Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 4.5 GB DDR SDRAM
  • VA2020 Level 4 Level 4 (3,450 points)
    Jan 31, 2009 2:30 PM (in response to kae)
    Open TM Preferences -> Change disk. Re-select your TM backup drive. Try to +Backup Now+ .
    iMac 24" 3GB |, Mac OS X (10.5.5), | 0.5TB TC | AEBS | iPod Touch G2 16GB
  • buddra Calculating status...
    Feb 9, 2009 5:43 PM (in response to kae)
    All of a sudden after months of working correctly on 2 networked computers my Time Machine is giving me the "Unable to get status of backup volume" error. I've tried reselecting it, but that didn't work. Both of my computers on the network are getting the same error.
    Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.