Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Faces results from one iPhoto Album to Another

I have multiple iPhoto Files, many of which contain the same people. How can I transfer the results of defining Faces for one iPhoto File to another iPhoto File? This would avoid having to go through the sometimes lengthy process of defining Faces.

It seems to me that this would a very valuable thing for iPhoto to be able to do, as would being able to open multiple iPhoto files without shutting down and re-choosing . . .

PowerBook G4 - 15 Inch, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 2, 2009 11:15 AM

8 replies

Feb 2, 2009 11:37 AM in response to jehardt3

Jehardt

Welcome to the Apple user discussion forums

not to be picky but terminology is critical in answering technical questions

In your subject you mention albums which are logical elements of an iPhoto library and all photos in an album share the same attributes because they all reference the photo in the event

In your post you speak of iPhoto files - I think you mean iPhoto libraries. If you are speaking of multiple iPhoto libraries there is currently no way to move photo attributes (like face identification) between libraries

The authors of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - have indicated that they believe they can implement this and plan to release it in a 3.5 release in the future - right now they plan a quick 3.44 release to expand their current functionality to iPhoto '09 with the 3.5 release being later

So not now but maybe soon with third party software

LN

Feb 2, 2009 12:47 PM in response to LarryHN

I’ve been poking around a bit and come up with the following:

Here’s a +less than perfect+ way to move Faces between Libraries.

Doing this means that - on the Upside - your Names will be suggested when you go to name a Face

On the Downside - the automatic face detection will not be present. You’ll need to click on ‘Add Missing Face’ for everyone on the Photo.

1. Quit iPhoto.

2. Go to your Pictures Folder (or where ever you have your Library) and find the iPhoto Library there (Your Donor Library).

3. Right Click on it, and from the resulting menu select ‘Show Package Contents’. A Finder window will open and the Library will be exposed.

4. Find the following file

face.db

and copy it (File -> Duplicate). This will give you a file called face.db copy

5. Drag the face.db copy file to the desktop.

6. Now go to your target Library and repeat Step 3.

7. From the target Library trash the face.db file.

8. Drag the face.db copy into this library folder, and then rename the file, removing the ‘copy’.

9. Launch this Library.

Worth a try on a test Library.

Regards

TD

Feb 2, 2009 2:44 PM in response to jehardt3

Again me being picky - apple has not addressed this (and does not pre announce releases so would not address it) - iPhoto Library Manager is a third party program ($20.00 - and very much worth it) that says they will (probably) address this

The authors of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - have indicated that they believe they can implement this and plan to release it in a 3.5 release in the future - right now they plan a quick 3.44 release to expand their current functionality to iPhoto '09 with the 3.5 release being later

So not now but maybe soon with third party software

LN

Transfer Faces results from one iPhoto Album to Another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.