Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can The .Pages Suffix Be Removed From Files?

I want to prevent Pages from automatically adding the .pages suffix to files. It increases the size of the file name so the name is often missing the middle letters.

I do not see a preference setting for this option... Is there any way to do this?

Posted on Feb 2, 2009 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2009 12:56 PM

*_Never remove the extension names._* They are required for a correct behavior.

You just may ask the Finder to stop displaying it which is not the same thing.

Finder > Preferences > Advanced >
uncheck the box "Show all file extensions".

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE lundi 2 février 2009 21:55:51)
8 replies

Feb 2, 2009 4:04 PM in response to mizzlara

Thanks for reminding me about the option to hide the extension when saving a new file.

As far as using the "Get Info" procedure to change existing files... well, I don't think that I am up for that!

I would hope that there would be a universal preference setting for hiding file extensions since they do not seem to be necessary for proper handling of files.

Feb 2, 2009 4:12 PM in response to MisterMojo

No problem! I hear ya... I think the universal setting only applies to the files you save after you switch your preference in the "save as" window. Once that is checked then it will apply to all of your files that you save in the future. Maybe you can make it part of your daily routine to switch the old ones by just switching a few each day haha 😉

Can The .Pages Suffix Be Removed From Files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.