Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I secure/encrypt a file held on an external HD

I would like to put items on my external wireless networked lacie HD which cannot be accessed by others who use it. I thought creating a disk image would work but after putting the files and transferring to the public folder on the HD, I want to delete the files from my local drive as they take up so much room. When I then log back into the Lacie the files I put there have disappeared. I've re-created this a few times and it seems that the image on the network drives mimics what I do locally.
Am I doing something wrong? I know how to set encryption and unchecking the pswd in keychain.

Thanks
Stuart

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 2, 2009 2:47 PM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2009 3:22 PM in response to Matt Clifton

Hi Matt

I create using disk utility. I then drag and drop the file into the disk image.

I thought about this (shortcut) and yes the first time it was a shortcut, next time I copied and pasted.
However, now it appears as a folder on the Lacie and not as a mount.
Q - should I be moving the xxx.dmg file over to the HDD? I am currently moving the mounted drive that appears on the desktop

S

How can I secure/encrypt a file held on an external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.