Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc images and DVD's fail to mount

OK - has anyone else had this problem? It happens to me all the friggin time and has been for a few months now. Easily reproducible too:

1. Select 'Restart' from Apple menu
2. Restart hangs (every single time regardless of whether any apps are running or not)
3. Force restart via power button (every single time)
4. CD's/DVD's/.dmg fail to mount (every single time)
5. Repair permissions (every single time)
6. Restart (see #2)
7. Zap PRAM 3x (every single time)
8. CD's/DVD's/.dmg mount

I am so tired of this. I have never had this many unfixed problems with any Mac or OS, not even 7.5! How hard is it to create a computer that restarts properly? And why oh why does it refuse to mount my media?

Oh - #9 new symptom: DVD mounts; eject DVD; insert new or same DVD; DVD fails to mount.

24" 2.4GHz alumiMac 3/320, Mac OS X (10.5.6), WD 1TB FW800, Maxtor 250GB USB2, 20" Cinema display

Posted on Feb 3, 2009 1:11 PM

6 replies

Feb 3, 2009 2:32 PM in response to rpduval

will it restart if you disconnect all the external drives?

When you did the "clean install" I presume that you reformatted the drive, wrote 0's to the drive and then loaded a fresh new system on it. After you loaded just the system and before you loaded any of your third party software did it restart?

You don't unplug the computer when you are not using it do you?

Feb 3, 2009 2:40 PM in response to Al Van Malsen

Al Van Malsen wrote:
will it restart if you disconnect all the external drives?

When you did the "clean install" I presume that you reformatted the drive, wrote 0's to the drive and then loaded a fresh new system on it. After you loaded just the system and before you loaded any of your third party software did it restart?

You don't unplug the computer when you are not using it do you?

I don't like disconnecting the external drives because then I have to go through the PMR a few times to get them to show back up - well, the FW800 anyway, the USB drive stopped showing up some time ago and never has come back (even though it shows up fine when connected to any other computer in my house).

And it actually restarted fine immediately after the 10.5.6 update but has since reverted to no restart like with 10.5.5 and previous.

No, I leave it running with screen sleeped.

I'm going to try the hardware test even though TechTool 5 found no problems. If that doesn't find anything I'm off to the Apple store to make use of my Apple Care.

Disc images and DVD's fail to mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.