Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB error code -6602

Hello,

I have a linux server running Samba. I have a general shared folder for everybody, and then limited home directories that are shared. These are can not be browsed. What has happened, is if you try to connect to the server in general, it shows up the list of shared directories. But to get to your home directory, you had to do the following...

Go>Connect to server
smb://<machine>/<home dir>

Once I did this, it would log me into my server with my account name. I could pass files back and forth as need.

I haven't used this method in a few months and Apple has updated Leopard at least once since then.

Unfortunately, now when I try to do the same thing now. I get an error message...

A volume failed to mount.
The volume "home dir" could not be mounted.

After I press OK, I get this...

Sorry, the operation could not be complete because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -6602)

Now, this all used to work fine. No changes have been made to the linux server at all, except its possible that Samba has been updated a couple of times. I tried this same thing from my XP within the VM on my mac. It works just like it used to work with OS X. I get access to the share.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 3, 2009 4:38 PM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2009 5:26 PM in response to berck

Hmm, I turned logging on the linux server to see if I can find a problem. Turns out that is says OS X is sending an incorrect password. The server requires encrypted passwords.

I decided to try on one of our windows servers. It too requires encrypted passwords. It won't allow me to log on either.

Hence, this used to work with Leopard. I wish I could remember which version back, but it doesn't anymore. It appears Leopard is not passing encrypted passwords correctly.

SMB error code -6602

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.