Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Online banking with Lloyds TSB

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone can access their Lloyds TSB online banking with Safari? I can't as it keeps rejecting my login credentials.

I wrote to Lloyds, who confirmed:

+"At present we don't support either Safari or Firefox browsers. However, while Internet banking is compatible with Netscape Navigator 6 and above, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and above, it is our policy to adhere to standards and to allow a range of browsers to access our Internet banking site, providing they support 128 bit encryption and session cookies. While it may be possible to access the service using other browsers such as Firefox, we're unable to guarantee full compatibility or provide support."+

I just want to ensure that its not my settings that prevent me accessing my accounts.

Lastly, does anyone know if Firefox works? I don't want to install it for nothing...

Thanks for any information from Lloyds TSB account holders.

20" iMac (Mid 2008), iPhone, iPlayUltimateFrisbee, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iHaveALifeToo

Posted on Feb 4, 2009 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2009 6:57 AM

Sorry, I'm not a LloydsTSB user, but I do find their corporate reply to be quite amusing. Recommending browsers released almost a decade ago?

It's odd they claim they don't support Firefox yet Firefox is technically just an updated version of Netscape Navigator.

it is our policy to adhere to standards and to allow a range of browsers to access our Internet banking site

Haha! - The whole point of standards is so things work across browsers.

I was able to fool their site into thinking I was on a supported browser though. For their check they don't seem to do anything more than verify the user-agent string the browser sends to identify itself.

Here's LloydsTSB giving Firefox the big green tick:

User uploaded file

Try changing the user agent in Safari to see if that is all they are checking. You can change it by enabling the Develop menu from Safari preferences > Advanced and then choosing, say, one of the User Agent settings for Internet Explorer from the new Develop menu at the top of the screen (you might need to restart Safari to see the new menu).

If that does work, I'd send them a note to recommend updating their sites to use more recent technologies... You might want to remind them that 33% of the internet don't use Internet Explorer these days. 😉
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2009 6:57 AM in response to EspressoLungo

Sorry, I'm not a LloydsTSB user, but I do find their corporate reply to be quite amusing. Recommending browsers released almost a decade ago?

It's odd they claim they don't support Firefox yet Firefox is technically just an updated version of Netscape Navigator.

it is our policy to adhere to standards and to allow a range of browsers to access our Internet banking site

Haha! - The whole point of standards is so things work across browsers.

I was able to fool their site into thinking I was on a supported browser though. For their check they don't seem to do anything more than verify the user-agent string the browser sends to identify itself.

Here's LloydsTSB giving Firefox the big green tick:

User uploaded file

Try changing the user agent in Safari to see if that is all they are checking. You can change it by enabling the Develop menu from Safari preferences > Advanced and then choosing, say, one of the User Agent settings for Internet Explorer from the new Develop menu at the top of the screen (you might need to restart Safari to see the new menu).

If that does work, I'd send them a note to recommend updating their sites to use more recent technologies... You might want to remind them that 33% of the internet don't use Internet Explorer these days. 😉

Feb 4, 2009 7:31 AM in response to iBod

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Success!

As suggested, I changed the browser identification string to both Firefox and IE7, and in both instances it worked....

But then I changed back to Safari (automatic to be exact), and it also worked...
Maybe a cookie got created and now its ok...

But in light of the above, their response to my email is a bit of a joke...

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Feb 5, 2009 2:42 AM in response to EspressoLungo

Hi,
a similar situation arose with HSBC and is still an ongoing issue between them and Apple.
I also use Lloyd'sTSB on Safari and have no problems with either bank.
My thoughts are that it's a combination of Safari and Leopard together that's the problem, as neither iBod nor myself use Leopard.
I did experience a minor prob with HSBC back in January, for which I had to download Firefox, but after a day or so, I was able to log on again using Safari and thus far, I've ha no problems at all with Lloyd'sTSB.

Feb 5, 2009 3:20 AM in response to iBod

Hi both,

See below further correspondence from Lloyds:

+Firstly, please accept my apologies for the obvious frustration and inconvenience this matter has caused you.+
+If you are having difficulties accessing our Internet banking site using the Safari browser, you may be able to access it using Firefox.+
+However, as my colleague C ** previously stated 'While it may be possible to access the service using other browsers such as Firefox, we're unable to guarantee full compatibility or provide support.'+
+We want to continually improve the service available to our customers and welcome any customer feedback.+
+Your comments about the browsers we choose to support, will be passed to the relevant department although they will be unable to respond to you individually regarding this matter.+

Typical Customer Relationship Manager type of response, but at least I got a response...

Mar 18, 2009 9:13 AM in response to EspressoLungo

Hi just read yr chat re TSB. It has taken me weeks to actually set up the banking online - and now I find out I have to have internet explorer as they don't support MAC. So I downloaded IE - with success - as am not really v good at this - then cannot log onto statements as need ActiveX! Have tried to download a MAC version of ActiveX - without success. Spoke to Apple Help and they changed the Safari browser to include Develop etc (not really sure what I am talking about but bear with me!) I tried all the diferent browsers that were under the heading User Agent - but still cannot download ActiveX which Lloyds say I need. You seem to have cracked it!!! Please can you tel me what I have to do as this is driving me nuts!!!! Feel like changing banks hahaha. Thanks for your time. Jo

Online banking with Lloyds TSB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.